Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical oversight: conceptualizing the relationship between supervision and safety.J Gen Int Med. 2007; 22: 1080-1085
- “Its a cultural expectation.” The pressure on medical trainees to work independently in clinical practice.Med Educ. 2009; 43: 645-653
- Progressive independence in clinical training: a tradition worth defending?.Acad Med. 2005; 80: S106-S111
- Point-of-care assessment of medical trainee competence for independent clinical work.Acad Med. 2008; 83: S89-S92
ACGME. Common Program Requirements: General Competencies 2007; Available at: http://www.acgme.org/outcome/comp/GeneralCompetenciesStandards21307.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2010.
- “Don’t hesitate to call”–the underlying assumptions.Clin Teach. 2007; 4: 6-9
- Five steps from novice to expert.in: Mind over Machine. The Free Press, New York, NY1986: 16-51
- The making of an expert.Harv Bus Rev. 2007; 85: 114-121
- Attaining excellence through deliberate practice: insights from the study of expert performance.in: Ferrari M.E. The Pursuit of Excellence through Education. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ2002
- Towards safer interprofessional communications: constructing a model of “utility” from preoperative team briefings.J Interprof Care. 2006; 20: 471-483
- A surgery oral examination: interrater agreement and the influence of rater characteristics.Acad Med. 1995; 70: 1044-1046
- Disadvantages to using the oral examination.in: Mancall E.L. Bashook P.G. Assessing Clinical Reasoning: the Oral Examination of Medical Specialties. American Board of Medical Specialties, Evanston, IL1995: 41-48
- Hawthorne effects and research into professional practice.J Eval Clin Pract. 2001; 7: 65-70
- The Pediatrics Milestones: conceptual framework, guiding principles, and approach to development.J Grad Med Educ. 2010; 2: 410-418
- AAMC policy guidance on graduate medical education: assuring quality patient care and quality education.Acad Med. 2003; 78: 112-116
Dr Hicks is the president-elect of the Association of Pediatric Program Directors.