Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Computer-Based Patient Record: An Essential Technology for Health Care.Rev ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC1997
- The clinical record in medicine, part 1: learning from cases.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 114: 902-907
- A cost-benefit analysis of electronic medical records in primary care.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 397-403
Garets D, Davis M. Electronic medical records vs electronic health records: yes, there is a difference. 2006. Available at: http://www.himssanalytics.org/docs/wp_emr_ehr.pdf. Accessed June 21, 2010.
- The Regenstrief medical record system: a quarter century experience.Int J Med Inform. 1999; 54: 225-253
- Which physicians and practices are using electronic medical records?.Health Aff. 2005; 24: 1334-1343
- Adoption of electronic health records in primary care pediatric practices.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e20-e24
- Electronic health records in ambulatory care—a national survey of physicians.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 50-60
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Electronic Health Record Incentive Program.Fed Reg. 2010; : 1844
- Stimulating the adoption of health information technology.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1477-1479
- Toward reuse of clinical data for research and quality improvement: the end of the beginning?.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 359-360
Olsen L, Aisner D, McGinnis JM. Learning healthcare system: workshop summary. IOM Roundtable on Evidence-Based Medicine. Paper presented at: IOM Roundtable on Evidence-Based Medicine; 2007.
- A Rapid-Learning Health System.Health Aff. 2007; 26: w107-w118
- Use of claims data systems to evaluate health care outcomes: mortality and reoperation following prostatectomy.JAMA. 1987; 257: 933-936
- Using claims data for epidemiologic research: the concordance of claims-based criteria with the medical record and patient survey for identifying a hypertensive population.Med Care. 1993; 31: 498-507
- Measuring quality of care—part two of six.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 966-970
- Clinical research databases—a historical review.J Med Syst. 1990; 14: 323-344
- Linking automated databases for research in managed care settings.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 127: 719-724
- Charting the use of electronic health records and other information technologies among child health providers.BMC Pediatr. 2006; 6: 21
- Clinical Epidemiology: The Architecture of Clinical Research.W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia1985
Theological & Philosophical Dictionary. Epistemology. Available at http://www.philosophy-dictionary.org/Theological-and-Philosophical-Dictionary/epistemology. Accessed March 18, 2011.
Chen H, Fuller SS, Friedman C, Hersh W. Medical Informatics: Knowledge Management and Data Mining in Biomedicine. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 2005.
Shortliffe EH, Cimino JJ, assoc eds. Biomedical Informatics: Computer Applications in Health Care and Biomedicine. 3rd ed. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2006.
- Lehmann C.U. Kim G.R. Johnson K.B. Pediatric Informatics: Computer Applications in Child Health. Springer, New York2009
- Methodologic issues in pediatric outcomes research.Ambul Pediatr. 2001; 1: 59-62
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Overview of the Kids’ Inpatient Database (KID). Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/kidoverview.jsp. Accessed January 20, 2011.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health Interview Survey. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm. Accessed January 20, 2011.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm. Accessed January 20, 2011.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ambulatory health care data. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd.htm. Accessed January 20, 2011.
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/yrbs/index.htm. Accessed January 20, 2011.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. Available at: http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/. Accessed January 20, 2011.
- The use of routinely collected computer data for research in primary care: opportunities and challenges.Fam Pract. 2006; 23: 253-263
- To what extent do clinical notes by general practitioners reflect actual medical performance? A study using simulated patients.Br J Gen Pract. 1994; 44: 153-156
- How well does chart abstraction measure quality? A prospective comparison of standardized patients with the medical record.Am J Med. 2000; 108: 642-649
- A framework for capturing clinical data sets from computerized sources.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 127: 675-682
- Data warehousing for clinical research.in: Liu LÖ Tamer M. Encyclopedia of Database Systems. Springer, New York2009: 679-684
- Electronic support for public health: validated case finding and reporting for notifiable diseases using electronic medical data.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009; 16: 18-24
- Liberating health data for clinical research applications.Sci Transl Med. February 10, 2010; 2 (18cm16–18cm16)
AAP Council on Clinical Information Technology. EMR review project. Available at: http://www.aapcocit.org/emr/readreviews.php. Accessed July 2, 2010.
- Multicenter epidemiologic and health services research on therapeutics in the HMO Research Network Center for Education and Research on therapeutics.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2001; 10: 373-377
- An electronic practice-based network for observational comparative effectiveness research.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 338-340
- Distributed health data networks: a practical and preferred approach to multi-institutional evaluations of comparative effectiveness, safety, and quality of care.Med Care. 2010; 48: S45-S51
Ware H, Mullett CJ, Jagannathan V. Natural language processing framework to assess clinical conditions. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009/8//2009;16:585–589.
- Assessment of commercial NLP engines for medication information extraction from dictated clinical notes.Int J Med Inform. 2009; 78: 284-291
i2b2 National Center for Biomedical Computing. i2b2 software version 1.5.1. Available at: https://www.i2b2.org/software/index.html. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Cooking up an open source EMR for developing countries: OpenMRS—a recipe for successful collaboration.AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2006; : 529-533
- Web services can aid development of pediatric-friendly EHRs.AAP News. 2009; 30: 27
- Power of expression in the electronic patient record: structured data or narrative text?.Int J Med Inform. 2000; (101–110): 58-59
- Comparison of information content of structured and narrative text data sources on the example of medication intensification.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009; 16: 362-370
- Routinely collected general practice data: goldmines for research? A report of the European Federation for Medical Informatics Primary Care Informatics Working Group (EFMI PCIWG) from MIE2006, Maastricht, the Netherlands.Inform Prim Care. 2006; 14: 203-209
- The contextual nature of medical information.Int J Med Inform. 1999; 56: 51-60
- “We fill in our working understanding”: on codes, classifications and the produciton of accurate data.Methods Inf Med. 2003; 42: 489-496
- Use and abuse of computer-stored medical records.Methods Inf Med. 1991; 30: 79-80
- Epidemiology: Principles and Methods.Little, Brown, Boston, Mass1970
- Pediatric clinical research networks: current status, common challenges, and potential solutions.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 740-745
- Practice-based research networks: the laboratories of primary care research.Med Care. 2004; 42: III-45-III-49
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Pediatric Research Consortium (PeRC). Available at: http://www.research.chop.edu/cbmi/perc/percoverview.php. Accessed January 20, 2011.
Maternal and Child Health Bureau Research Program. Pediatric Primary Care Electronic Health Record (EHR) Network for Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER). Available at: http://mchb.hrsa.gov/research/project_info.asp?ID=166. Accessed January 12, 2011.
Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. PECARN current research. Available at: http://www.pecarn.org/currentResearch/index.html. Accessed January 28, 2011.
ImproveCareNow. Enhanced registries grant: building modular chronic disease registries for QI and comparative effectiveness research. Available at: http://www.improvecarenow.org/news/13-latest/77-enhanced-registries-grant-. Accessed January 12, 2011.
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose.