|1962||Vaccination Assistance Act PL 87-868||Control of diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, etc.|
|1962||Establishment of National Institute of Child Health and Human Development||Research on childhood illness with subsequent interventions to counteract disease.|
|1963||Title VII of the Public Health Services Act||Established training programs to enhance primary care in pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine, and dentistry.|
|1965||Amendments to the Social Security Act Title XIX, Medicaid PL 89-97||Established a program of health insurance for the poor.|
|1970||Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act PL 91-695||Removal of lead from paint. Significant decreases in cases of lead poisoning of children.|
|1974||Health Professions Health Education Act of 1974||Training programs for health professionals, including pediatricians.|
|1978||Health Services and Centers Act PL 95-626||By 2005, there were 1000 federally qualified health centers serving 15 million people in the United States|
|1990||Ryan White CARE Act PL 101-381||Grants to improve care for individuals and families with HIV.|
|1997||State Child Health Insurance Program PL 105-33||Extended insurance benefits to children above the financial eligibility line for Medicaid.|
|2009||Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act PL 111-3||Reauthorized Child Health Insurance Program, extending coverage to 4.1 million new children.|
|2010||Affordable Care Act PL 111-148||Universal health care insurance coverage. Specific patient protections.|
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- APA Oral History Project interview, October 10, 2008.Academic Pediatric Association, McLean, Va2010
- History of academic general and ambulatory pediatrics.Pediatr Res. 2003; 53: 188-197
Academic Pediatric Association. APA advocacy 101 PowerPoint presentation. Available at: http://www.ambpeds.org/public_policy/public_policy_index.cfm. Accessed March 18, 2011.
Academic Pediatric Association. Prescription to vote. Available at: http://www.ambpeds.org/public_policy/public_policy_PresToVote.cfm. Accessed March 18, 2011.
- The History of the Ambulatory Pediatric Association: 30 Years of Reflection and Growth. 1971. 30th Anniversary: The Ambulatory Pediatric Association. Its History and the Collection of the George Armstrong Lectureships (1960–1990).Ambulatory Pediatric Association, McLean, Va1990 (15–25)
- Child Health in America: Making a Difference Through Advocacy.Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Md2006
- The child, his family and illness.Postgrad Med. 1963; 34: 228-233
- Hard to reach families in a comprehensive program.JAMA. 1967; 201: 801-806
- The Education of Physicians for Primary Care.US, DHEW, Washington, DC1973 (HRA publication 74–113)
Alliance for Health Reform. Medicaid. Available at: http://www.allhealth.org/sourcebookcontent.asp?CHID=71. Accessed March 13, 2011.
- The potential impact of Medicaid reform on the health care-seeking behavior of Medicaid-covered children: a qualitative analysis of parental perspectives.J Natl Med Assoc. 2009; 10: 213-222
- Population-based assessments of ophthalmologic and audiologic follow-up in children with very low birth weight enrolled in Medicaid: a quality of care study.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e278-e285
- Annual report on the health care of children and youth in the United States: racial/ethnic, socioeconomic disparities in children’s health care quality.Acad Pediatr. 2010; 10: 95-118
- The Scientific Evidence for Child Health Insurance.Acad Pediatr. 2009; 9: 4-6
- Reduction in racial and ethnic disparities after enrollment in the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: e697-e705
- Crowd-out in the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP): incidence, enrollee characteristics and experiences, and potential impact on New York’s S-CHIP.Health Serv Res. 2008; 43: 419-434
- Health care reform for children: views from the Academic Pediatric Association.Acad Pediatr. 2010; 10: 153-154
- Health care reform: the doorway to health care transformation.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: e374-e375
APA Minutes from Philip Ambuel, April 30, 1979.
- The Dance of Legislation.Simon and Schuster, New York1973
APA Minutes from Jerome Paulson, April 1984.
APA Minutes from Jim Seidel, November 2, 1992.
- Violent death and injury in US children and adolescents.Am J Dis Child. 1990; 144: 697-706
World Health Organization. International code of marketing of breast-milk substitutes. Available at: http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/code_english.pdf. Accessed February 15, 2011.
APA Minutes from Modena Wilson, 1989.
- Association between Medicaid reimbursement and child influenza vaccination.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: e998-e1010
- Reviews of evidence regarding interventions to improve the vaccination coverage in children, adolescents and adults.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: 97-140
- The role of HRSA BHPr Title VII funding in academic general pediatrics fellowships and leadership.Acad Med. 2008; 83: 1103-1106
- The APA/HRSA Faculty Development Scholars Program: introduction to the supplement.Ambul Pediatr. 2004; 4: 83-87
- Outcomes results from the evaluation of the APA/HRSA Faculty Scholars Program.Ambul Pediatr. 2004; 4: 103-111
- Academic general pediatric fellowships: curriculum design and educational goals and objectives.Ambul Pediatr. 2007; 7: 328-339
- Strengthening the academic base of general pediatrics fellowship programs: a national program and curriculum development project.Ambul Pediatr. 2007; 7: 340-347
Advisory Committee on Training in Primary Care Medicine and Dentistry. Training Culturally Competent Primary Care Professionals to Provide High Quality Healthcare for All Americans. 3rd Report to the Secretary of the Health and Human Services and the Congress, November 2003.
Advisory Committee on Training in Primary Care Medicine and Dentistry. The Role of Title VII, Section 747 Programs in Preparing Primary Care Practitioners to Care for Underserved High-Risk Groups and Vulnerable Populations. 6th Report to the Secretary of the Health and Human Services and the Congress, 2006.
Advisory Committee on Training in Primary Care Medicine and Dentistry. Writing Group Author. Preparing Primary Health Care Providers to Meet Americas Future Health Care Needs: The Critical Role of Title VII, Section 747. 4th Report to the Secretary of the Health and Human Services and the Congress, November 2004.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.