Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Kohn LT CJ, Donaldson MS. To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2000.
- Institute of Medicine. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001
- Changing conversations: Teaching safety and quality in residency training.Acad Med. 2008; 83: 1080-1087
- A new framework for quality partnerships in Children’s Hospitals.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 1147-1156
- Maintenance of Certification: The role of the American Board of Pediatrics in improving children’s health care.Pediatr Clin North Am. Aug 2009; 56: 987-994
ACGME. Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Common Program Requirements: General Competencies. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/outcome/comp/generalcompetenciesstandards21307.pdf. Accessed May 25, 2011.
- Effectiveness of teaching quality improvement to clinicians: A systematic review.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1023-1037
- Residents’ engagement in quality improvement: A systematic review of the literature.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 1757-1764
- Practice-based learning and improvement: A curriculum in continuous quality improvement for surgery residents.Arch Surg. 2007; 142 (discussion 482–473): 479-482
- Lessons learned from a 5-year experience with a 4-week experiential quality improvement curriculum in a preventive medicine fellowship.J Graduate Med Ed. 2009; : 93-99
- A case study of translating ACGME practice-based learning and improvement requirements into reality: Systems quality improvement projects as the key component to a comprehensive curriculum.Postgrad Med J. 2009; 85: 530-537
- A continuous quality improvement curriculum for residents: Addressing core competency, improving systems.Acad Med. 2004; 79: S65-S67
- Linking residency training effectiveness to clinical outcomes: A quality improvement approach.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2010; 36: 203-208
- Integrating improvement competencies into residency education: A pilot project from a pediatric continuity clinic.Ambul Pediatr. 2003; 3: 131-136
- Taking a unified approach to teaching and implementing quality improvements across multiple residency programs: The Atlantic Health experience.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 1788-1795
- Teaching internal medicine residents quality improvement and patient safety: A lean thinking approach.Am J Med Qual. 2010; 25: 211-217
- Utilizing quality improvement methods to improve patient care outcomes in a pediatric residency program.J Graduate Med Ed. 2009; : 299-303
Philibert I. Involving residents in quality improvement: contrasting “top down” and “bottom up” approaches. Accredidation for Graduate Medical Education and Institute for Healthcare Improvement 90 day project. 2008. Available at: www.acgme.org/acWebsite/ci/90DayProjectReportDFA_PA_09_15_08.pdf. Accessed September 12, 2011.
- Teaching internal medicine residents to sustain their improvement through the quality assessment and improvement curriculum.J Gen Intern Med. 2011; 26: 221-225
- Validation of a method for assessing resident physicians’ quality improvement proposals.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1330-1334
Morrison LJ HL, Ogrinc G, Foster T. The Quality Improvement Knowledge Application Tool: an Instrument to Assess Knowledge Application in Practice Based Learning and Improvement. Paper presented at: Society of General Internal Medicine; May 7, 2003; Vancouver, BC.
- Validity evidence for an OSCE to assess competency in systems-based practice and practice-based learning and improvement: A preliminary investigation.Acad Med. 2008; 83: 775-780
- A model to begin to use clinical outcomes in medical education.Acad Med. 2008; 83: 574-580
- The assessment of clinical skills/competence/performance.Acad Med. 1990; 65: S63-S67
- Teaching quality improvement and patient safety to trainees: A systematic review.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 1425-1439
- Teaching quality improvement: The devil is in the details.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1059-1061
- Effect of a quality improvement curriculum on resident knowledge and skills in improvement.Qual Saf Health Care. 2011; 19: 351-354
Institute for Healthcare Improvement. IHI Offerings 2011. Available at: www.ihi.org/IHI/Programs/OpenSchool. Accessed September 12, 2011.
- A framework for teaching medical students and residents about practice-based learning and improvement, synthesized from a literature review.Acad Med. 2003; 78: 748-756
- Integrating quality improvement and residency education: insights from the AIAMC National Initiative about the roles of the designated institutional official and program director.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 1749-1756
- The role of quality improvement and patient safety in academic promotion: Results of a survey of chairs of departments of internal medicine in North America.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 277-280
- Introducing quality reports.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 187-188
Conflict-of-interest disclosure: James Moses, MD, MPH is a faculty advisor to The Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Open School.