Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System.National Academies Press, Washington, DC1999
- Crossing the Quality Chasm—A New Health System for the 21st Century.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001
- Preventing Medication Errors.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
- The end of the beginning: patient safety five years after To Err Is Human.Health Aff (Millwood). 2004; (W4-534–W4-545)
- The long road to patient safety: a status report on patient safety systems.JAMA. 2006; 294: 2858-2865
- Patient safety at ten: unmistakable progress, troubling gaps.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 165-173
- Preparing the workforce.in: Crossing the Quality Chasm—A New Health System for the 21st Century. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001: 207-223
- Microsystems in health care, part 5. How leaders are leading.Jt Comm J Qual Saf. 2003; 29: 297-308
- Microsystems in health care, part 3. Planning patient-centered services.Jt Comm J Qual Saf. 2003; 29: 159-170
- Clinical microsystems, part 1. The building blocks of health systems.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2008; 34: 367-378
- CQI progress reports: the dashboard approach provides a better way to keep board informed about quality.Healthc Exec. 1993; 8: 8-11
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center: transforming care for children and families.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2006; 32: 541-548
- Reliability science and patient safety.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006; 53: 1121-1133
- The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization.Doubleday/Currency, New York, NY1990
- Knowledge for Action: A Guide to Overcoming Barriers to Organizational Change.Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif1993
- Course research: using the case method to build and teach management theory.Acad Manage Learn Educ. 2009; 8: 240-251
- The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education.Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Advanced Engineering Study, Cambridge, Mass1993
- Experiential Learning.Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1984
- Toward an applied theory of experiential learning.in: Cooper C. Theories of Group Process. John Wiley, London, UK1975
- Control charts 101: a guide to health care applications.Qual Manag Health Care. 2001; 9: 1-27
- Statistical process control as a tool for research and healthcare improvement.Qual Saf Health Care. 2003; 12: 458-464
- There’s a SMART way to write management’s goals and objectives.Manage Rev. 1981; 70: 35-38
Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA). 2004. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/knowledge/Pages/Tools/FailureModesandEffectsAnalysisTool.aspx. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organizational Performance.2nd ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif2009
- Quality Improvement Through Planned Experimentation.2nd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY1999
- Developing capable quality improvement leaders.BMJ. 2012; 21: 903-911
Nolan TW. Execution of strategic improvement initiatives to produce system-level results. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/knowledge/Pages/IHIWhitePapers/ExecutionofStrategicImprovementInitiativesWhitePaper.aspx. Accessed March 15, 2013. IHI Innovation Series White Paper 2007.
- The Quality Toolbox.2nd ed. American Society for Quality, Quality Press, Milwaukee, Wisc2005
Fisher E, Goodman D, Skinner J, et al. Health care spending, quality and outcomes. More isn’t always better. Dartmouth Atlas Project Topic Brief, February 27, 2009. Available at: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/downloads/reports/Spending_Brief_022709.pdf. March 15, 2013.
- Variations in the longitudinal efficiency of academic medical centers.Health Aff (Millwood). 2004; : VAR19-VAR32
- Health care quality, geographic variations, and the challenge of supply-sensitive care.Perspect Biol Med. 2003; 46: 69-79
- Evaluating Training Programs: A Collection of Articles.American Society for Training and Development, Alexandria, Va1975
- Evaluating Training Programs: The Four Levels.3rd ed. Berrerr-Koehler, San Francisco, Calif2006
Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Assessment scale for collaboratives. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/knowledge/Pages/Tools/AssessmentScaleforCollaboratives.aspx. Accessed March 15, 2013.
Intermountain Healthcare, Institute for Health Care Delivery and Research. 20-day course for executives and QI leaders. Available at: http://intermountainhealthcare.org/qualityandresearch/institute/courses/atp/Pages/home.aspx. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Improving notification of sexually transmitted infections: a quality improvement project and planned experiment.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e415-e422
- Use of quality improvement methods to improve timeliness of analgesic delivery.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e219-e225
- A hospital-randomized controlled trial of a formal quality improvement educational program in rural and small community Texas hospitals: one year results.Int J Qual Health Care. 2009; 21: 225-232
- A two-pronged quality improvement training program for leaders and frontline staff.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2011; 37: 147-153
Kano N. Attractive Quality Creation. Convergence Conference. Dearborn, Michigan, October 17, 1994.