Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999–2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 483-490
- Increasing caloric contribution from sugar-sweetened beverages and 100% fruit juices among US children and adolescents, 1988–2004.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e1604-e1614
- Dietary sources of energy, solid fats, and added sugars among children and adolescents in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1477-1484
- Beverage consumption among high school students—United States, 2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 778-780
- Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 667-675
- Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis.Lancet. 2001; 357: 505-508
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes: epidemiologic evidence.Physiol Behav. 2010; 100: 47-54
- Effects of decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption on body weight in adolescents: a randomized, controlled pilot study.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 673-680
- School randomised trial on prevention of excessive weight gain by discouraging students from drinking sodas.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 197-202
- Consumption of fruit, vegetables, sweets and soft drinks are associated with psychological dimensions of eating behaviour in parents and their 12-year-old children.Public Health Nutr. 2008; 11: 914-923
- Associations between parental report of the home food environment and adolescent intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy foods.Public Health Nutr. 2005; 8: 77-85
- Is parenting style related to children’s healthy eating and physical activity in Latino families?.Health Educ Res. 2006; 21: 862-871
- Factors associated with soft drink consumption in school-aged children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 1244-1249
- Perceived parenting style and practices and the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages by adolescents.Health Educ Res. 2007; 22: 295-304
- Cognitive and home environmental predictors of change in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among adolescents.Br J Nutr. 2010; 103: 768-774
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Assessing your weight: children’s BMI tool for schools. In: Children’s BMI Group Calculator—English Version. 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/tool_for_schools.html. Accessed March 19, 2013.
- Measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales.Educ Psychol Meas. 1960; 20: 37-46
- Observing Interaction: An Introduction to Sequential Analysis.Cambridge University Press, New York, NY1986
- Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions.2nd ed. Wiley, New York, NY1981
- Improving HIV/AIDS care through treatment advocacy: going beyond client education to empowerment by facilitating client–provider relationships.AIDS Care. 2011; 23: 79-90
- Total beverage consumption and beverage choices among children and adolescents.Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2003; 54: 297-307
- Television watching and soft drink consumption: associations with obesity in 11- to 13-year-old schoolchildren.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003; 157: 882-886
- Sugar-added beverages and adolescent weight change.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 778-788
- Diet soda intake and risk of incident metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 688-694
- Diet soft drink consumption is associated with an increased risk of vascular events in the Northern Manhattan Study.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 1120-1126
- Nonnutritive sweetener consumption in humans: effects on appetite and food intake and their putative mechanisms.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 1-14
Brown K, Johnson B, Morrison M, et al. Hispanic fact pack: 2009 edition annual guide to Hispanic marketing and media. 2009. Available at: http://adage.com/images/random/datacenter/2009/hispfactpack09.pdf. Accessed March 19, 2013.
Coca-Cola Company. Powerade teams up with Guillermo “Memo” Ochoa for first ever Hispanic integrated marketing campaign (press release). 2010. Available at: http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/presscenter/nr_20100517_powerade_ochoa_latino.html. Accessed March 19, 2013.
- Bottled, filtered, and tap water use in Latino and non-Latino children.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 457-461
City of New York. NYC water. Available at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinking_water/wotg.shtml. Accessed March 19, 2013.
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 2477-2483
- Dietary recommendations for children and adolescents: a guide for practitioners.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 544-559
- The use and misuse of fruit juice in pediatrics.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 1210-1213
- Sports drinks and energy drinks for children and adolescents: are they appropriate?.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 1182-1189
The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.