Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS). Atlanta, Ga: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/. Accessed September 28, 2012.
- Measuring the population burden of fatal and nonfatal injury.Epidemiol Rev. 2012; 34: 17-31
- Persistence of disability 24 to 36 months after pediatric traumatic brain injury: a cohort study.J Neurotrauma. 2012; 29: 2499-2504
- Predicting child PTSD: the relationship between acute stress disorder and PTSD in injured children.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004; 43: 403-411
Office of Statistics and Programming. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Cost of injury reports. 2012. Available at: http://wisqars.cdc.gov:8080/costT/. Accessed September 28, 2012.
- Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 380: 2197-2223
- Child injury around the world: a global research agenda for child injury prevention.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 212
- World Report on Child Injury Prevention.World Health Organization, Lyon, France2008
- Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 380: 2095-2128
- Vital signs: unintentional injury deaths among persons aged 0–19 years—United States, 2000–2009.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 270-276
- Mechanisms involved in the recent large reductions in US road fatalities.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 205-206
US Department of Transportation. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Traffic safety facts. Crash stats. Early estimate of motor vehicle traffic fatalities for the first half (January–June) of 2012. September 2012. DOT HS 811 680. Available at: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811680.pdf. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Active transportation to school: trends among US schoolchildren, 1969–2001.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 509-516
Jiménez-Mejías E, Lardelli-Claret P, Jiménez-Moleón JJ, et al. Decomposing the association between the amount of exposure and the frequency of self-reported involvement in a road crash. Inj Prev. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040467. Accessed November 5, 2012.
- Taking the long view: a systematic review reporting long-term perspectives on child unintentional injury.Inj Prev. 2012; 18: 334-342
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Available at: http://stats.oecd.org/. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- A League Table of Child Deaths by Injury in Rich Nations: Innocenti Report Card No. 2.UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, FlorenceFebruary 2001
- Strengthening the prevention and care of injuries worldwide.Lancet. 2004; 363: 2172-2179
- Distribution of road traffic deaths by road user group: a global comparison.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 55-59
- Committee on Injury Violence and Poison Prevention. Child passenger safety.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e1050-e1066
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. State laws and regulations. 2012. Available at: http://www.iihs.org/laws/default.aspx. Accessed September 28, 2012.
- Safety belt laws and disparities in safety belt use among US high-school drivers.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1128-1134
- Naturalistic assessment of novice teenage crash experience.Accident Anal Prev. 2011; 43: 1472-1479
- Teen driving: motor-vehicle crashes and factors that contribute.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: S261-S271
- Teenage Driver Fatalities by State: 2011 Preliminary Data.Governors Highway Safety Association, Washington, DC2012
- National evaluation of the effect of graduated driver licensing laws on teenager fatality and injury crashes.J Saf Res. 2012; 43: 29-37
O’Brien NP, Foss RD, Goodwin AH, Masten SV. Supervised hours requirements in graduated driver licensing: effectiveness and parental awareness. Accident Anal Prev. In press.
- Effects of in-vehicle monitoring on the driving behavior of teenagers.J Saf Res. 2010; 41: 39-45
- Extending parental mentoring using an event-triggered video intervention in rural teen drivers.J Saf Res. 2007; 38: 215-227
- The use of EDR data in vehicle accident reconstructions.Collision. 2011; 6
- Insurance applications for crash data retrieval: legal considerations in 2011.Collision. 2011; 6
- The effects of text messaging on young drivers.Hum Factors. 2009; 51: 582-592
Virginia Tech Transportation Institute. New data from VTTI provides insight into cell phone use and driving distraction. July 27, 2009. Available at: http://www.vtti.vt.edu/PDF/7-22-09-VTTI-Press_Release_Cell_phones_and_Driver_Distraction.pdf. Accessed September 28, 2012.
- Short-term effects of a teenage driver cell phone restriction.Accident Anal Prev. 2009; 41: 419-424
- Reviewing Four Decades of Cell Phone Use While Driving Literature (1970–2010): An Emphasis on Texting Behaviors, Parental Perceptions, and Methods of Control.J Health Behav Pub Health. 2012; 2: 20-26
- Perceptions and experiences of participants in a study of in-vehicle monitoring of teenage drivers.Traffic Inj Prev. 2010; 11: 361-370
- Problematic mobile phone use in adolescence: a cross-sectional study.J Public Health. 2011; 19: 545-551
- Influence of changing travel patterns on child death rates from injury: trend analysis.BMJ. 1997; 314: 710
- US school travel, 2009: an assessment of trends.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41: 146-151
- Traffic risks by travel mode in the metropolitan regions of Stockholm and San Francisco: a comparison of safety indicators.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: 204-207
- Planning for child pedestrians: issues of health, safety and social justice.J Urban Des. 2008; 13: 141-145
- Prevalence of obesity in the United States, 2009–2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; 82: 1-8
- Safety in numbers: more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and bicycling.Inj Prev. 2003; 9: 205-209
- Promoting safe walking and cycling to improve public health: lessons from the Netherlands and Germany.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1509-1516
- On the link between urban infrastructure and poverty: evidence from Africa using GMM estimates.Policy Politics. 2011; 39: 221-238
Ackaah W, Afukaar F, Agyemang W, et al. The use of non-standard motorcycle helmets in low- and middle-income countries: a multicentre study. Inj Prev. In press.
- Electric-bicycle-related injury: a rising traffic injury burden in China.Inj Prev. 2010; 16: 417-419
- Road traffic injury prevention.Inj Prev. 2010; 16: 1
UN Road Safety Collaboration. Global plan for the decade of action for road safety, 2011–2020. 2010. Available at: http://www.who.int/roadsafety/decade_of_action/plan/en/index.html. Accessed September 28, 2012.
- Drowning—United States, 2005–2009.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 344-347
- Child Mortality and Injury in Asia: Survey Results and Evidence.Innocenti Child Development Centre, UNICEF, Florence, Italy2007 (Special Series on Child Injury No. 3, IWP-2007-06)
- The Parent Supervision Attributes Profile Questionnaire: a measure of supervision relevant to children’s risk of unintentional injury.Inj Prev. 2006; 12: 19-23
- Observations of caregiver supervision of children at beaches: identification of factors associated with high supervision.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: 244-249
Rahman F, Bose S, Linnan M, et al. Cost-effectiveness of an injury and drowning prevention program in Bangladesh. Pediatrics In press.
- Initial community response to a childhood drowning prevention programme in a rural setting in Bangladesh.Inj Prev. 2010; 16: 21-25
- Pool fencing for preventing drowning of children.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 1998; 1: CD001047
- DEWS: a live visual surveillance system for early drowning detection at pool.IEEE Trans Circuits Syst Video Technol. 2008; 18: 196-210
- Association between swimming lessons and drowning in childhood: a case-control study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009; 163: 203-210
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Injury Violence and Poison Prevention. Prevention of drowning.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 178-185
- Analysis of paediatric drowning deaths in Washington State using the child death review (CDR) for surveillance: what CDR does and does not tell us about lethal drowning injury.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: i28-i33
- Association between wearing a personal floatation device and death by drowning among recreational boaters: a matched cohort analysis of United States Coast Guard data.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: 156-159
- Trends in life jacket wear among recreational boaters: a dozen years (1999–2010) of US observational data.J Public Health Pol. 2012; 33: 59-74
- US National Research Council; Committee on Developing a Strategy to Reduce and Prevent Underage Drinking; US National Research Council Board on Children Youth and Families Reducing Underage Drinking: A Collective Responsibility.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2004
- and the Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness. Sport-related concussion in children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 597-615
- Prolonged effects of concussion in high school athletes.Neurosurgery. 2005; 57: 300-306
- Does age play a role in recovery from sports-related concussion? A comparison of high school and collegiate athletes.J Pediatr. 2003; 142: 546-553
- Is protective equipment useful in preventing concussion? A systematic review of the literature.Br J Sports Med. 2009; 43: i56-i67
Washington State Department of Health. Concussion management for schools. Available at: http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Schools/EnvironmentalHealth/ConcussionManagement.aspx. Accessed September 28, 2012.
Concussion Legislation by State. 2012. Available at: http://www.nflevolution.com/article/Concussion-Legislation-by-State?ref=767. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Consensus statement on concussion in sport. 3rd International Conference on Concussion in Sport Held in Zurich, November 2008.Clin J Sport Med. 2009; 19: 185-200
- Drug poisoning deaths in the United States, 1980–2008.NCHS Data Brief. 2011; 81: 1-8
- Vital signs: overdoses of prescription opioid pain relievers—United States, 1999–2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 1487-1492
- Prescription drug monitoring programs and death rates from drug overdose.Pain Med. 2011; 12: 747-754
- Randomized trial of Web-based training about opioid therapy for chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 512-517
- The global diversion of pharmaceutical drugs non-medical use and diversion of psychotropic prescription drugs in North America: a review of sourcing routes and control measures.Addiction. 2010; 105: 2062-2070
- US infant mortality trends attributable to accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed from 1984 through 2004: are rates increasing?.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: 533-539
- Recent national trends in sudden, unexpected infant deaths: more evidence supporting a change in classification or reporting.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 163: 762-769
- Sudden unexpected infant deaths: sleep environment and circumstances.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1204-1212
- Injury prevention in child death review.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: i1-i3
- The US national child death review case reporting system.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: i34-i37
US Department of Health and Human Services. Administration for Children and Families. Child Maltreatment, 2010. Rockville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2011. Available at: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/child-maltreatment-2010/. Accessed August 15, 2013.
- Rates of pediatric injuries by 3-month intervals for children 0 to 3 years of age.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: e683-e692
- The Triple P-Positive Parenting Programme: a universal population-level approach to the prevention of child abuse.Child Abuse Rev. 2003; 12: 155-171
- Home visiting programmes for the prevention of child maltreatment: cost-effectiveness of 33 programmes.Arch Dis Child. 2012; 97: 787-798
- Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2011.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012; 61: 1-162
- Reducing school bullying: evidence-based implications for policy.Crime Justice. 2009; 38: 281-345
- Epidemiology of youth suicide and suicidal behavior.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2009; 21: 613
- Means restriction for suicide prevention.Lancet. 2012; 379: 2393-2399
- Suicide and suicide attempts in adolescents.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: 669-676
- A review and application of suicide prevention programs in high school settings.Issues Mental Health Nurs. 2011; 32: 696-702
Fagan AA, Catalano RF. What works in youth violence prevention: a review of the literature. Res Social Work Pract. In press.
- A systematic meta-review of evaluations of youth violence prevention programs: Common and divergent findings from 25 years of meta-analyses and systematic reviews.Aggression Violent Behav. 2012; 17: 540-552
- Homicide, suicide, and unintentional firearm fatality: comparing the United States with other high-income countries, 2003.J Trauma. 2011; 70: 238-243
- Too many or too few unintentional firearm deaths in official US mortality data?.Accident Anal Prev. 2011; 43: 724-731
- Gun storage practices and risk of youth suicide and unintentional firearm injuries.JAMA. 2005; 293: 707-714
- Evaluation of a community-based handgun safe-storage campaign.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: e654-e661
- State gun safe storage laws and child mortality due to firearms.JAMA. 1997; 278: 1084-1086
- Some thoughts about “acceptable” and “non-acceptable” childhood injuries.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: 147-148
- On preventing all injuries.Inj Prev. 2012; 18: 285-286
- Playing it safe: the influence of neighbourhood safety on children’s physical activity—a review.Health Place. 2008; 14: 217-227
- Do the health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks?.Environ Health Perspect. 2010; 118: 1109
- Injury prevention as a global health initiative.Inj Prev. 2008; 14: 145-146
- Surveillance: to what end?.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 73-74
- Child injury surveillance that guides interventions: the Beijing primary healthcare experience.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: 74-78
- Evaluation of an emergency department-based injury surveillance project in China using WHO guidelines.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 105-110
- When can a risk factor be used as a worthwhile screening test?.BMJ. 1999; 319: 1562-1565
- Clinical care and health disparities.Annu Rev Public Health. 2012; 33: 89-106
- The comparative cost-effectiveness of an equity-focused approach to child survival, health, and nutrition: a modelling approach.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1341-1351
- Generation of political priority for global health initiatives: a framework and case study of maternal mortality.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1370-1379
- The role for pragmatic randomized controlled trials (pRCTs) in comparative effectiveness research.Clin Trials. 2012; 9: 436-446
- Estimating the population impact of preventive interventions from randomized trials.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 191-198
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.