- Weiss K.
- Lozano P.
- Finkelstein J.
- et al.
- Walsh M.
- Laptook A.
- Kazzi S.N.
- et al.
A cluster-randomized trial of benchmarking and multimodal quality improvement to improve rates of survival free of bronchopulmonary dysplasia for infants with birth weights of less than 1250 grams.
Considerations for Utilizing CRTs
Scenarios of CRT Utility
Designing a CRT
- Sullivan S.D.
- Lee T.A.
- Blough D.K.
- et al.
Statistical Issues With CRTs: Sample Size and Analysis
Logistical and Ethical Issues in CRTs
- Methods for evaluating area-wide and organisation-based interventions in health and health care: a systematic review.Health Technol Assess. 1999; 3: iii-92
- A cluster-randomized trial of screening for language delay in toddlers: effects on school performance and language development at age 8.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: 1317-1325
- Physician asthma education program improves outcomes for children of low-income families.Chest. 2004; 126: 369-374
- A cluster randomized clinical trial to improve prescribing patterns in ambulatory pediatrics.PLoS Clin Trials. 2007; 2: e25
- Electronic health record–based decision support to improve asthma care: a cluster-randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: e770-e777
- Use of an Internet portal to improve community-based pediatric ADHD care: a cluster randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: e1201-e1208
- Improving attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder treatment outcomes through use of a collaborative consultation treatment service by community-based pediatricians: a cluster randomized trial.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 835-840
- Universal parenting programme to prevent early childhood behavioural problems: cluster randomised trial.BMJ. 2008; 336: 318-321
- Long-term mother and child mental health effects of a population-based infant sleep intervention: cluster-randomized, controlled trial.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: e621-e627
- Learning from a distance: effectiveness of online spirometry training in improving asthma care.Acad Pediatr. 2012; 12: 88-95
- Randomized controlled trial to improve primary care to prevent and manage childhood obesity: the High Five for Kids study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165: 714-722
- A randomized controlled clinical trial to improve asthma care for children through provider education and health systems change: a description of the Pediatric Asthma Care Patient Outcome Research Team (PAC-PORT II) study design.Health Serv Outcomes Res Methodol. 2003; 4: 265-282
- Using novel Canadian resources to improve medication reconciliation at discharge: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2012; 13: 150
- A prospective cluster-randomized trial to implement the Canadian CT head rule in emergency departments.CMAJ. 2010; 182: 1527-1532
- Cluster randomized trials in comparative effectiveness research: randomizing hospitals to test methods for prevention of healthcare-associated infections.Med Care. 2010; 48: S52-S57
- A cluster-randomized trial of benchmarking and multimodal quality improvement to improve rates of survival free of bronchopulmonary dysplasia for infants with birth weights of less than 1250 grams.Pediatrics. 2007; 119: 876-890
- Effect of an integrated care pathway on acute asthma/wheeze in children attending hospital: cluster randomized trial.J Pediatr. 2008; 152: 315-320
- Lessons for cluster randomized trials in the twenty-first century: a systematic review of trials in primary care.Clin Trials. 2004; 1: 80-90
- Characteristics and quality of reporting of cluster randomized trials in children: reporting needs improvement.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 1331-1340
- A multisite randomized trial of the effects of physician education and organizational change in chronic-asthma care: health outcomes of the Pediatric Asthma Care Patient Outcomes Research Team II Study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 875-883
- Design of cluster-randomized trials of quality improvement interventions aimed at medical care providers.Med Care. 2007; 45: S38-S43
- Allocation techniques for balance at baseline in cluster randomized trials: a methodological review.Trials. 2012; 13: 120
- Comparing completely and stratified randomized designs in cluster randomized trials when the stratifying factor is cluster size: a simulation study.Stat Med. 2004; 23: 897-905
- Practice-level effects of interventions to improve asthma care in primary care settings: the Pediatric Asthma Care Patient Outcomes Research Team.Health Serv Res. 2005; 40: 1737-1757
- A multisite randomized trial of the effects of physician education and organizational change in chronic asthma care: cost-effectiveness analysis of the Pediatric Asthma Care Patient Outcomes Research Team II (PAC-PORT II).Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 428-434
- Internal and external validity of cluster randomised trials: systematic review of recent trials.BMJ. 2008; 336: 876-880
- Relative efficiency and sample size for cluster randomized trials with variable cluster sizes.Clin Trials. 2011; 8: 27-36
- Determinants of the intracluster correlation coefficient in cluster randomized trials: the case of implementation research.Clin Trials. 2005; 2: 99-107
- Reliability, effect size, and responsiveness of health status measures in the design of randomized and cluster-randomized trials.Contemp Clin Trials. 2005; 26: 45-58
- Cluster randomized trials in general (family) practice research.Stat Methods Med Res. 2000; 9: 81-94
- Prior distributions for the intracluster correlation coefficient, based on multiple previous estimates, and their application in cluster randomized trials.Clin Trials. 2005; 2: 108-118
- Calculating sample sizes for cluster randomized trials: we can keep it simple and efficient!.J Clin Epidemiol. 2012; 65: 1212-1218
- Statistical power and sample size requirements for three level hierarchical cluster randomized trials.Biometrics. 2008; 64: 1256-1262
- Sample size calculations for 3-level cluster randomized trials.Clin Trials. 2008; 5: 486-495
- Analysis of cluster randomized trials in primary care: a practical approach.Fam Pract. 2000; 17: 192-196
- Intention-to-treat analysis in cluster randomized trials with noncompliance.Stat Med. 2008; 27: 5565-5577
- Cluster randomized trials with treatment noncompliance.Psychol Methods. 2008; 13: 1-18
- Predicting nursing home adherence to a clinical trial intervention: lessons for the conduct of cluster randomized trials.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 2332-2336
- Power and money in cluster randomized trials: when is it worth measuring a covariate?.Stat Med. 2006; 25: 2607-2617
- Augmented generalized estimating equations for improving efficiency and validity of estimation in cluster randomized trials by leveraging cluster-level and individual-level covariates.Stat Med. 2012; 31: 915-930
- Researchers’ perceptions of ethical challenges in cluster randomized trials: a qualitative analysis.Trials. 2013; 14: 1
- Ethical and policy issues in cluster randomized trials: rationale and design of a mixed methods research study.Trials. 2009; 10: 61
- The Ottawa statement on the ethical design and conduct of cluster randomized trials.PLoS Med. 2012; 9: e1001346
- Ethical issues posed by cluster randomized trials in health research.Trials. 2011; 12: 100
- What is the role and authority of gatekeepers in cluster randomized trials in health research?.Trials. 2012; 13: 116
- Cluster randomized trials to study the comparative effectiveness of therapeutics: stakeholders’ concerns and recommendations.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009; 18: 554-561
- Cluster randomized trials: opportunities and barriers identified by leaders of eight health plans.Med Care. 2007; 45: S29-S37
- Who is the research subject in cluster randomized trials in health research?.Trials. 2011; 12: 183
- Informed patient consent to participation in cluster randomized trials: an empirical exploration of trials in primary care.Clin Trials. 2005; 2: 91-98
- When is informed consent required in cluster randomized trials in health research?.Trials. 2011; 12: 202
- Informed consent and cluster-randomized trials.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 480-485
- Participant informed consent in cluster randomized trials: review.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e40436
- Systematic review of stepped wedge cluster randomized trials shows that design is particularly used to evaluate interventions during routine implementation.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 936-948
- Bias in recruitment to cluster randomized trials: a review of recent publications.J Eval Clin Pract. 2012; 18: 878-886
- Lack of concealment may lead to selection bias in cluster randomized trials of palliative care.Palliat Med. 2002; 16: 43-49
The views expressed in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the US Department of Health and Human Services, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality or the American Board of Pediatrics Foundation.
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Publication of this article was supported by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the American Board of Pediatrics Foundation.