A process in which learners take the initiative, with the support and collaboration of others, for increasing self and social awareness; critically analyzing and reflecting on their situations, diagnosing their learning needs with specific reference to competencies they have helped identify; formulating socially and personally relevant learning goals, identifying human and material resources for learning, choosing and implementing appropriate learning strategies; and reflecting on and evaluating their learning.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Self-Directed Learning: A Guide for Learners and Teachers.Associated Press, New York, NY1975
- Self-Directed Learning:Critical Practice.Nichols/GP Publishing, New York, NY1991
- Interprofessional Learning in Primary Care: The Dorset Seedcorn Project.World Conference of Family Doctors, Dublin, UK1998
- Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes.Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass1978
- The adult learner: a mythical species.Acad Med. 1999; 74: 886-889