Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Office of the Legislative Counsel. Compilation of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010 (Available at:)Accessed January 5, 2014)
- The next GME accreditation system—rationale and benefits.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1051-1056
Migration Policy Institute. MPI data hub: migration facts, stats, and maps. Available at: http://www.migrationinformation.org/datahub/state2.cfm?ID=US. Accessed September 13, 2012.
Migration Policy Institute. Place of birth for foreign-born population. Census 2000 and ACS 2006–11. Available at: http://www.migrationinformation.org/globaldata/charts/MPIDataHub-Region-birth-1960.xlsx. Accessed August 26th, 2013.
- A prescription for cultural competence in medical education.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 1116-1120
- Cultural Competence Education for Students in Medicine and Public Health: Report of an Expert Panel.Association of American Medical Colleges and Association of Schools of Public Health, Washington, DC2012 (Available at:)Accessed January 5, 2014)
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Pediatrics milestones to be reported on semi-annualy. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramResources/Pediatrics_Milestones_to_be_reported_on_semi-annually.pdf. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- Primary care resident perceived preparedness to deliver cross-cultural care: an examination of training and specialty differences.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1107-1113
- Resident physicians’ preparedness to provide cross-cultural care.JAMA. 2005; 294: 1058-1067
- Resident cross-cultural training, satisfaction, and preparedness.Acad Pediatr. 2013; 13: 65-71
- Mixed messages: residents’ experiences learning cross-cultural care.Acad Med. 2005; 80: 874-880
- Impact of interpreter services on delivery of health care to limited-English-proficient patients.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 468-474
- Pediatricians’ use of language services for families with limited English proficiency.Pediatrics. 2007; 119: e920-e927
- Resident physicians’ use of professional and nonprofessional interpreters: a national survey.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1050-1053
- The truth about language barriers: one residency program’s experience.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: e569-e573
- The role of self-efficacy in achieving health behavior change.Health Educ Q. 1986; 13: 73-92
- Self-efficacy: an essential motive to learn.Contemp Educ Psychol. 2000; 25: 82-91
- Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change.Psychol Rev. 1977; 84: 191-215
- The effect of training in communication skills on medical doctors’ and nurses’ self-efficacy. A randomized controlled trial.Patient Educ Couns. 2007; 66: 270-277
- Efficacy of a communication and stress management training on medical residents’ self-efficacy, stress to communicate and burnout: a randomized controlled study.J Health Psychol. 2010; 15: 1075-1081
- Why don’t physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1458-1465
- Is the professional satisfaction of general internists associated with patient satisfaction?.J Gen Intern Med. 2000; 15: 122-128
- Rates of medication errors among depressed and burnt out residents: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2008; 336: 488-491
- Career choice selection and satisfaction among US adult nephrology fellows.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7: 1513-1520
- Applications of self-efficacy theory to understanding career choice behavior.J Soc Clin Psychol. 1986; 4: 279-289
Center for Workforce Studies; Association of American Medical Colleges. Recent studies and reports on physician shortages in the US. October 2012. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/download/100598/data/. Accessed January 5, 2014.
- Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods.3rd ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, Calif2002
- The use of Spanish language skills by physicians and nurses: policy implications for teaching and testing.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 117-123
- “Does this doctor speak my language?” Improving the characterization of physician non-English language skills.Health Serv Res. 2012; 47: 556-569
- Getting by: underuse of interpreters by resident physicians.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 256-262
- Getting past getting by: training culturally and linguistically competent bilingual physicians.J Pediatr. 2012; 160: 891-892.e1
- Errors of medical interpretation and their potential clinical consequences: a comparison of professional versus ad hoc versus no interpreters.Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 60: 545-553
National Council on Interpreting in Health Care. Available at: http://www.ncihc.org. Accessed October 22, 2012.
- Working effectively with interpreters: a model curriculum for physician assistant students.Med Teach. 2008; 30: 612-617
- Teaching medical students how to use interpreters: a three year experience.Med Educ Online. 2009; 14: 12
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.