Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Administration on Children, Youth and Families, Children’s Bureau. Adoption and Foster Care Analysis a Reporting System FY 2011 data (October 1, 2010–September 30, 2011). Available at: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/cb/afcarsreport19.pdf. Accessed July 3, 2013.
- Mental health and substance use disorders among foster youth transitioning to adulthood: past research and future directions.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2013; 35: 194-203
- Mental health of current and former recipients of foster care: a review of recent studies in the USA.Child Fam Soc Work. 2009; 14: 132-146
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among older youths in the foster care system.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2005; 44: 88-95
- Educational and employment outcomes of adults formerly placed in foster care: results from the Northwest Foster Care Alumni Study.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2006; 28: 1459-1481
- Use of mental health services among older youths in foster care.Psychiatr Serv. 2004; 55: 811-817
- Pediatric to adult mental health service use of young people leaving the foster care system.J Adol Health. 2009; 44: 7-13
- Mental health service use during the transition to adulthood for adolescents reported to the child welfare system.Psychiatr Serv. 2009; 60: 1084-1091
- Emerging adulthood and leaving foster care: settings associated with mental health.Am J Community Psychol. 2011; 47: 335-348
- Addressing the health needs of adolescents transitioning out of foster care.Pediatr Nurs. 2007; 33: 345-355
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, Public Law No. 111–148.
- Process, outcome and experience of transition from child to adult mental health care: multiperspective study.Brit J Psychiat. 2010; 197: 305-312
- Transition experiences of mental health service users, parents, and professionals in the United Kingdom: a qualitative study.Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2012; 35: 251-257
- Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century.National Academy Press, Washington, DC2001
- Users’ guides to the medical literature: XXIII. Qualitative research in health care B. What are the results and how do they help me care for my patients? Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group.JAMA. 2000; 284: 478-482
- Qualitative research: introducing focus groups.Br Med J. 1995; 311: 299-302
- Social learning theory and the health belief model.Health Educ Quart. 1988; 15: 175-183
- Conceptualizing mental health care utilization using the health belief model.Clin Psychol (New York). 2009; 16: 420-439
- A systematic approach for using qualitative methods in primary prevention research.Med Anthropol Q. 1990; 4: 391-409
- Techniques to identify themes.Field Methods. 2003; 15: 85-109
- The dilemma of Medicaid.New Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2140-2148
- Former system youth with mental health needs: routes to adult mental health care, insight, emotions, and mistrust.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2011; 33: 2261-2266
- “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”: survivalist self-reliance as resilience and risk among young adults aging out of foster care.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2008; 30: 1198-1210
- Health insurance discontinuities among adolescents leaving foster care.J Adolesc Health. 2009; 44: 41-47
The Chafee Foster Care Independence Act of 1999, Public Law No. 106–169.
Pergamit MR, McDaniel M, Chen V, et al. ASPE Report: Providing Medicaid to Youth Formerly in Foster Care under the Chafee Option: Informing Implementation of the Affordable Care Act. November 2012. Available at: http://www.urban.org/publications/412786.html. Accessed October 23, 2013.
- Health care of youth aging out of foster care.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 1170-1173
- Child welfare-mental health best practice group.Child Welfare. 2009; 88: 189-212
Children’s Bureau. Making healthy choices: A guide on psychotropic medications for youth in foster care. Washington, DC; 2012. Available at: http://www.nrcyd.ou.edu/publication-db/documents/psychmedyouthguide.pdf. Accessed January 23, 2014.
- Experiences of and attitudes toward mental health services among older youths in foster care.Psychiatr Serv. 2006; 57: 487-492
Leslie LK, Mackie TI, Dawson EH, et al. Multi-state study on psychotropic medication oversight in foster care. Tufts CTSI Study Report. September 2010. Available at: http://www.tuftsctsi.org/∼/media/Files/CTSI/Library%20Files/Psychotropic%20Medications%20Study%20Report.ashx.
- Foster youth transitions to adulthood: a longitudinal view of youth leaving care.Child Welfare. 2001; 80: 685-717
- Utility of the health belief model in examining medication compliance among psychiatric outpatients.Soc Sci Med. 1987; 25: 1205-1211
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.