Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Health, United States, 2012: With Special Feature on Emergency Care.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyatsville, Md2013
Healthcare Cost and Utlization Project. National Emergency Department dataset, 2010. Available at: http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov. Accessed August 12, 2013.
- The influence of insurance status on nonurgent pediatric visits to the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 1999; 6: 744-748
Massachusetts Division of Health Care Finance and Policy. Massachusetts health care cost trends: efficiency of emergency department utilization in Massachusetts. Document 12-236-HCF-05. Available at, http://www.mass.gov/chia/docs/cost-trend-docs/cost-trends-docs-2012/emergency-department-utilization.pdf. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Emergency department overuse: perceptions and solutions.JAMA. 2013; 309: 1173-1174
- Does quality of care affect rates of hospitalization for childhood asthma?.Pediatrics. 1996; 98: 18-23
- Impact of inhaled antiinflammatory therapy on hospitalization and emergency department visits for children with asthma.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 706-711
- Outpatient management practices associated with reduced risk of pediatric asthma hospitalization and emergency department visits.Pediatrics. 1997; 100: 334-341
- Use of asthma guidelines by primary care providers to reduce hospitalizations and emergency department visits in poor, minority, urban children.J Pediatr. 2005; 146: 591-597
- An association between fine particles and asthma emergency department visits for children in Seattle.Environ Health Perspect. 1999; 107: 489-493
- Outdoor air pollution and emergency department visits for asthma among children and adults: a case-crossover study in northern Alberta, Canada.Environ Health. 2007; 6: 40
- Profile of children requiring emergency treatment for asthma.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 1997; 78: 221-224
- Vital signs: asthma prevalence, disease characteristics, and self-management education: United States, 2001–2009.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 547-552
- National surveillance of asthma: United States, 2001–2010.Vital Health Stat. 2012; 3: 1-67
- Trends in childhood asthma: prevalence, health care utilization, and mortality.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 315-322
- Status of childhood asthma in the United States, 1980–2007.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: S131-S145
- Breathing Easier.US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Chamblee, Ga2009
- CDC's National Asthma Control Program: An Investment in America's Health.US Department of Health and Human Services, Chamblee, Ga2013
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC's National Asthma Control Program. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/asthma/nacp.htm. Accessed April 18, 2014.
- Trends in preventive asthma medication use among children and adolescents, 1988–2008.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 62-69
- Understanding and interpreting the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: key questions and answers.Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 60: 716-721
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NHAMCS scope and sample design. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd/ahcd_scope.htm--nhamcs_scope. Accessed April 17, 2014.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Pediatric quality indicators technical specifications, version 4.5. Available at: http://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/modules/PDI_TechSpec.aspx. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Disparities in potentially avoidable emergency department (ED) care: ED visits for ambulatory care sensitive conditions.Med Care. 2012; 50: 1020-1028
- Trends and characteristics of US emergency department visits, 1997–2007.JAMA. 2010; 304: 664-670
- Inhaled corticosteroid adherence and emergency department utilization among Medicaid-enrolled children with asthma.J Asthma. 2013; 50: 769-775
- Variation in hospital discharges for ambulatory care–sensitive conditions among children.Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 942-948
- Annual report on health care for children and youth in the United States: focus on trends in hospital use and quality.Acad Pediatr. 2011; 11: 263-279
- Trend alert: the trending and interpretation of vital signs.JEMS. 2010; 35 (66, 68, 71): 62-64
- Emergency Care and Transportation for the Sick and Injured.8th ed. Jones & Bartlett Publishing, Burlington, Mass2002
- 2010 NHAMCS Micro-Data File Documentation.US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, Md2011
- Racial disparities in childhood asthma in the United States: evidence from the National Health Interview Survey, 1997 to 2003.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: e868-e877
- Racial and ethnic disparities in current asthma and emergency department visits: findings from the National Health Interview Survey, 2001–2010.J Asthma. 2013; 50: 488-496
- Rural health disparities in asthma care and outcomes.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123: 1220-1225
- Association between primary care practice characteristics and emergency department use in a Medicaid managed care organization.Med Care. 2005; 43: 792-800
- Association between enhanced access services in pediatric primary care and utilization of emergency departments: a national parent survey.J Pediatr. 2013; 163: 1389-1395
- After-hours access to primary care practices linked with lower emergency department use and less unmet medical need.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 175-183
National Center for Health Statistics. Table 4–1: current asthma prevalence percents by age, United States: National Health Interview Survey Data, 2001. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/asthma/nhis/01/table4-1.htm. Accessed August 12, 2013.
National Center for Health Statistics. Table 4–1: current asthma prevalence percents by age, United States: National Health Interview Survey Data, 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/asthma/nhis/2010/table4-1.htm. Accessed August 12, 2013.
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breathing easier: success stories from CDC's National Asthma Control Program. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/asthma/state_success_stories.htm. Accessed May 1, 2014.
US Environmental Protection Agency. Air quality trends: percent change in air quality. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/airtrends/aqtrends.html--airquality. Accessed April 18, 2014.
- Cigarette smoking—United States, 1965–2008.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2011; 60: 109-113
- Table HIB-2: health insurance coverage status and type of coverage, all persons by age and sex, 1999 to 2011.in: Health Insurance Historical Tables—HIB Series. US Census Bureau, Washington, DC2011
- Auditing access to specialty care for children with public insurance.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2324-2333
- Summary health statistics for US children: National Health Interview Survey, 2010. National Center for Health Statistics.Vital Health Stat. 2011; 10: 1-80
- Individual sociodemographic characteristics associated with hospitalization for pediatric ambulatory care sensitive conditions.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2000; 11: 373-384
- Congruence of disposition after emergency department intubation in the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 61: 423-426.e428
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.