Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2005
- Using body mass index to identify overweight children: barriers and facilitators in primary care.Ambul Pediatr. 2007; 7: 38-44
- Parental perceptions of weight terminology that providers use with youth.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: e786-e793
- Recommendations for prevention of childhood obesity.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: S229-S253
- Cultural adaptation for ethnic diversity: a review of obesity interventions for preschool children.Calif J Health Promot. 2011; 9: 40
- The role of culture in the context of school-based BMI screening.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: S50-S62
- Latina mothers’ beliefs and practices related to weight status, feeding, and the development of child overweight.Public Health Nurs. 2011; 28: 107-118
Office of Minority Health; US Department of Health and Human Services. The National CLAS standards. Available at: http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/browse.aspx?lvl=2&lvlID=15. Accessed November 20, 2013.
HealthyPeople.gov; Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Healthy People 2020: Nutrition and Weight Status. Washington, DC: US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2012, 2013. Available at: http://healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/objectiveslist.aspx?topicId=29. Accessed September 6, 2013.
- Avoiding the term “obesity”: an experimental study of the impact of doctors’ language on patients’ beliefs.Patient Educ Couns. 2009; 76: 260-264
- What’s in a name? Patients’ preferred terms for describing obesity.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 1140-1146
- How pediatricians can improve diet and activity for overweight preschoolers: a qualitative study of parental attitudes.Acad Pediatr. 2009; 9: 172-178
- What words should we use when discussing excess weight?.J Am Board Fam Med. 2010; 23: 606-613
- Parental preferences on addressing weight-related issues in children.Clin Pediatr. 2007; 46: 612-618
- Denver Health Community Health Services BMI Report—Peds.Denver Health, Ambulatory Care Services, Denver, Colo2014
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011–2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
Office of Minority Health; US Department of Health and Human Services. Obesity and Hispanic Americans. Available at: http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?lvl=3&lvlID=537&ID=6459. Accessed November 20, 2013.
- Prevalence and trends of severe obesity among US children and adolescents.Acad Pediatr. 2009; 9: 322-329
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Obesity and overweight. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/childhood.html. Accessed Novermber 20, 2013.
- Parental perceptions of overweight counseling in primary care: the roles of race/ethnicity and parent overweight.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 1794-1801
- Disparities in pediatric preventive care in the United States, 1993–2002.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 30-36
- Racial and ethnic differences in pediatric obesity-prevention counseling: national prevalence of clinician practices.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 690-694
- Limited English proficiency is a barrier to receipt of advice about physical activity and diet among Hispanics with chronic diseases in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1769-1774
- Who is counseled to lose weight? Survey results and anthropometric data from 3,149 lower socioeconomic women.J Community Health. 2012; 37: 202-207
- Discussing childhood overweight and obesity with parents: a health communication dilemma.J Child Health Care. 2007; 11: 311-322
- Maternal perception of their overweight children.Public Health Nurs. 2007; 24: 538-546
- The cultural context of obesity: exploring perceptions of obesity and weight loss among Latina immigrants.J Immigr Minor Health. 2012; 14: 1063-1070
- Acculturation, weight, and weight-related behaviors among Mexican Americans in the United States.Ethn Dis. 2007; 17: 643-649
- Body image in Hispanic/Latino vs European American adolescents: implications for treatment and prevention of obesity in underserved populations.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2010; 21: 823-838
- Underestimation of weight status in Californian adolescents.Child Obes. 2013; 9: 132-136
- Cardiovascular disease knowledge and weight perception among Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013; 22: 1009-1015
- Mexican American mothers’ perceptions of childhood obesity: a theory-guided systematic literature review.Health Educ Behav. 2012; 39: 396-404
- Denver Health: a model for the integration of a public hospital and community health centers.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 143-149
Colorado Health Foundation. The Colorado health report card, 2013. Available at: http://www.coloradohealth.org/report_card.aspx. Accessed December 1, 2014.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Vital Signs. Progress on childhood obesity: many states show declines. August 2013. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/pdf/2013-08-vitalsigns.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2014.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Clinical growth charts, 2009. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm. Accessed December 1, 2014.
- Improving Aging and Public Health Research: Qualitative and Mixed Methods. American Public Health Association and the Gerontological Society of America, Washington, DC2006
- Color-coding improves parental understanding of body mass index charting.Acad Pediatr. 2009; 9: 330-338
Dr Hambidge has received royalties unrelated to this study from Elsevier for editing a general pediatric textbook. The other authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.