Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Beverage consumption among high school students—United States, 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6023a2.htm. Accessed February 5, 2013.
Reuters. Update 2—US soda consumption fell faster in 2011. March 20, 2012. Available at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/20/drinks-idUSL1E8EK1P620120320. Accessed February 5, 2013.
Energy drink sales get a jolt. Available at: http://www.bevindustry.com/articles/84825-energy-drink-sales-get-a-jolt. Accessed February 5, 2013.
- Alcohol, Energy Drinks, and Youth: A Dangerous Mix.Marin Institute, San Rafael, Calif2007 (Available at:)Accessed December 5, 2014)
- Factors associated with sugar-sweetened beverage intake among United States high school students.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 306-312
- Consumption of Sugar Drinks in the United States, 2005–2008.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md2011 (NCHS Data Brief 71)
- Increasing caloric contribution from sweetened beverages and 100% fruit juices among US children and adolescents, 1988–2004.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e1604-e1614
- Beverage patterns and trends among school-aged children in the US, 1989–2008.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 103
- Implications of sleep and energy drink use for health disparities.Nutr Rev. 2014; 72: 14-22
- Is there a relationship between hyperactivity/inattention symptoms and poor oral health? Results from the GINIplus and LISAplus study.Clin Oral Investig. 2013; 17: 1329-1338
- Consumption of soft drinks and hyperactivity, mental distress, and conduct problems among adolescents in Oslo, Norway.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 1815-1820
- Academic underachievement and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: the negative impact of symptom severity on school performance.J Sch Psychol. 2002; 40: 259-283
- Emotional and behavioral difficulties and impairments in everyday functioning among children with a history of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Prev Chronic Dis. 2006; 3: A52
- Association of externalizing behavior disorder symptoms and injury among fifth graders.Acad Pediatr. 2011; 11: 427-431
- Inattention, hyperactivity and impulsiveness: their impact on academic achievement and progress.Br J Educ Psychol. 2001; 71: 43-56
- Hyperactive behavior in childhood as related to subsequent alcohol problems and violent offending: a longitudinal study of male subjects.Pers Individ Dif. 1993; 15: 381-388
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in African American children: what can be concluded from the past ten years?.Clin Psychol Rev. 2009; 29: 77-86
- Use of treatment services for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Latino children.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2010; 12: 403-408
- Racial and ethnic disparities in ADHD diagnosis from kindergarten to eighth grade.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 85-93
- Parent-reported eating and leisure-time activity selection patterns related to energy balance in preschool-and school-aged children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 19-26
- Strengths and difficulties questionnaire: research and clinical applications.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2006; 19: 367-372
- Psychometric properties of the strengths and difficulties questionnaire.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 1337-1345
Youth In Mind. Scoring the SDQ. 2010. Available at: http://www.sdqinfo.org/py/sdqinfo/c0.py. Accessed February 5, 2013.
- Reproducibility of a school-based nutrition monitoring questionnaire in fourth grade elementary school students.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: A32
Healthy eating, active communities student nutrition and physical activity survey. Available at: http://cwh.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/primary_pdfs/HEAC%20survey%20form-2.pdf. Accessed February 5, 2013.
- Student eligibility for a free lunch as an SES measure in education research.Educ Res. 2010; 39: 120-131
- Family structure and children’s health and well-being: data from the 1988 national health interview survey on child health.J Marriage Fam. 1991; 53: 573-584
- For love and money? The impact of family structure on family income.Future Child. 2005; 15: 57-74
- Estimating linear regression models in the presence of a censored independent variable.Stat Med. 2004; 23: 411-429
Youth In Mind. Normative SDQ data from the USA. 2004. Available at: http://www.sdqinfo.com/USNorm.html. Accessed February 5, 2013.
- Health effects of energy drinks on children, adolescents, and young adults.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 511-528
- Caffeine content of energy drinks, carbonated sodas, and other beverages.J Anal Toxicol. 2006; 30: 112-114
- Caffeine use in children: what we know, what we have left to learn, and why we should worry.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2009; 33: 793-806
- Differential cognitive effects of energy drink ingredients: caffeine, taurine, and glucose.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2012; 102: 569-577
- Energy drinks: the new eye-opener for adolescents.Clin Pediatr Emerg Med. 2008; 9: 35-42
- Energy drinks: an emerging public health hazard for youth.J Public Health Pol. 2013; 34: 254-271
- Adolescent caffeine use, ADHD, and cigarette smoking.Child Health Care. 2010; 39: 73-90
- Would students prefer to eat healthier foods at school?.J Sch Health. 2011; 81: 146-151
- Sports drinks and energy drinks for children and adolescents: are they appropriate?.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 1182-1189
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.