Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The lifelong effects of early childhood adversity and toxic stress.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e232-e246
National Scientific Council on the Developing Child. Excessive stress disrupts the architecture of the developing brain. Working Paper No. 3. Available at: http://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/reports_and_working_papers/working_papers/wp3/. Accessed September 19, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adverse childhood experiences (ACE) study. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/acestudy/. Accessed April 12, 2014.
- The Effects of Childhood Stress on Health Across the Lifespan.US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Atlanta, Ga2008
- Protective and damaging effects of mediators of stress: elaborating and testing the concepts of allostasis and allostatic load.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1999; 896: 30-47
- The role of childhood trauma in the neurobiology of mood and anxiety disorders: preclinical and clinical studies.Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 49: 1023-1039
- Effects of early adverse experiences on brain structure and function: clinical implications.Biol Psychiatry. 2000; 48: 778-790
- Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) study.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 14: 245-258
- Adverse childhood experiences and smoking during adolescence and adulthood.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1652-1658
- Adverse childhood experiences predict earlier age of drinking onset: results from a representative US sample of current or former drinkers.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: e298-e304
- Adverse childhood experiences: translating knowledge into identification of children at risk for poor outcomes.Acad Pediatr. 2013; 13: 14-19
- The impact of adverse childhood experiences on an urban pediatric population.Child Abuse Negl. 2011; 35: 408-413
- Effect of early childhood adversity on child health.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 1232-1238
- Adverse childhood exposures and reported child health at age 12.Acad Pediatr. 2009; 9: 150-156
- Adverse Childhood Experiences in NSCAW.Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation; Administration for Children and Families, US Dept of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2013
- National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-Being II: Combined Waves 1–2 Data File User's Manual, Restricted Release Version.Cornell University; National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect, Ithaca, NY2011
- Chronic conditions among children investigated by child welfare: a national sample.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 455-462
- The Revised Conflict Tactics Scales (CTS2): development and preliminary psychometric data.J Fam Issues. 1996; 17: 283-316
- The Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test (AUDIT): a review of recent research.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2002; 26: 272-279
- A comprehensive review of the psychometric properties of the drug use screening test.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2007; 32: 189-198
- Clinical observation of assessment using the Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI). An analysis of the CIDI Field Trials—Wave II at the St Louis site.Br J Psychiatry. 1992; 160: 815-818
Achenbach TM, Rescorla LA. Manual for the ASEBA preschool forms and profiles. Available at: http://www.aseba.org/ordering/ASEBA%20Reliability%20&%20Validity-Pre-school%20.pdf. Accessed September 3, 2013.
Sparrow SS, Carter AS, Cicchetti DV. Vineland Screener. 1993. Available at: http://www.unc.edu/depts/sph/longscan/pages/measures/Ages12to14/writeups/Age%2012%20and%2014%20Vineland%20Screener%20FINAL%20(Public%20Site).pdf. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Vineland Screener 0–12 years research version (NL). Constructing a screening instrument to assess adaptive behaviour.Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2009; 18: 110-117
- Separation and reunification: using attachment theory and research to inform decisions affecting the placements of children in foster care.Juvenile Fam Court J. 2004; 55: 1-13
- A mechanism converting psychosocial stress into mononuclear cell activation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 1920-1925
- Childhood maltreatment predicts adult inflammation in a life-course study.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007; 104: 1319-1324
- Harsh family climate in early life presages the emergence of a proinflammatory phenotype in adolescence.Psychol Sci. 2010; 21: 848-856
- The epidermal growth factor receptor: a link between inflammation and liver cancer.Exp Biol Med. 2009; 234: 713-725
- Stress and inflammation in exacerbations of asthma.Brain Behav Immun. 2007; 21: 993-999
- Elevated inflammation levels in depressed adults with a history of childhood maltreatment.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008; 65: 409-415
- Adverse family experiences among children in nonparental care, 2011–2012.Natl Health Stat Report. 2014; 74: 1-8
- Prevalence of social–emotional and behavioral problems in a community sample of 1- and 2-year-old children.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 811-819
- What is the prevalence of children with special health care needs? Toward an understanding of variations in findings and methods across three national surveys.Matern Child Health J. 2008; 12: 1-14
- Disruptive behavior in children with Tourette's syndrome: association with ADHD comorbidity, TIC severity, and functional impairment.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003; 42: 98-105
- A multimethodological analysis of cumulative risk and allostatic load among rural children.Dev Psychol. 2003; 39: 924-933
- Child maltreatment and allostatic load: consequences for physical and mental health in children from low-income families.Dev Psychopathol. 2011; 23: 1107-1124
- Child health and maltreatment.Child Dev. 1984; 55: 1174-1183
- Converging trends in family research and pediatrics: recent findings for the American Academy of Pediatrics Task Force on the Family.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: 1572-1587
- Incorporating recognition and management of perinatal and postpartum depression into pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 1032-1039
- Early childhood adversity, toxic stress, and the role of the pediatrician: translating developmental science into lifelong health.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e224-e231
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.