Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Institute of Medicine. Hospital-Based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11621. Accessed March 28, 2015.
- The growing role of emergency departments in hospital admissions.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 391-393
Wier LM, Hao Y, Owens PL, et al. Overview of children in the emergency department, 2010. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Statistical Brief 157. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb157.pdf. Accessed February 26, 2015.
- Direct admission to hospitals among children in the United States.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 500-502
- Variation and outcomes associated with direct admission among children with pneumonia in the United States.JAMA Pediatr. 2014; 168: 829-836
American Hospital Association. American Hospital Association data and directories. Available at: http://www.aha.org/research/rc/stat-studies/data-and-directories.shtml. Accessed January 3, 2015.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. HCUPnet. Available at: http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/HCUPnet.jsp.
Sofaer S. Mixed methods in public health services research. Academy Health Webinar. Available at: http://academyhealth.org/Training/ResourceDetail.cfm?itemnumber=7916. Accessed October 28, 2013.
- Qualitative and mixed methods provide unique contributions to outcomes research.Circulation. 2009; 119: 1442-1452
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- Web application for managing, analyzing, and presenting qualitative and mixed method research data.(Version 5.0.11) SocioCultural Research Consultants, Los Angeles, Calif2014
- Focus on research methods real qualitative researchers do not count: the use of numbers in qualitative research.Res Nurs Health. 2001; 24: 230-240
- Pediatric primary care providers' perspectives regarding hospital discharge communication: a mixed methods analysis.Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15: 61-68
- Lower mortality in sepsis patients admitted through the ED vs direct admission.Am J Emerg Med. 2012; 30: 432-439
- Changes in the source of unscheduled hospitalizations in the United States.Med Care. 2013; 51: 689-698
- Rate of preventable early unplanned intensive care unit transfer for direct admissions and emergency department admissions.Hosp Pediatr. 2015; 5: 27-34
- Children with complex chronic conditions in inpatient hospital settings in the United States.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 1-10
Care of Children and Adolescents in US Hospitals. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). HCUP fact book. Available at: http://archive.ahrq.gov/data/hcup/factbk4/bk4fig6_7.htm. Accessed March 28, 2015.
- Management of neonates with hyperbilirubinemia: improving timeliness of care using a clinical pathway.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e1688-e1694
- Increased length of stay and costs associated with weekend admissions for failure to thrive.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e805-e810
Price RA, Stranges E, Elixhauser A. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Statistical Brief 132. Pediatric cancer hospitalizations, 2009. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb132.jsp. Accessed February 28, 2015.
- The Evolving Role of Emergency Departments in the United States.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif2013: 1-79
- Transitions of care consensus policy statement: American College of Physicians, Society of General Internal Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine, American Geriatrics Society, American College of Emergency Physicians, Society of Academic Emergency Medicine.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 971-976
- Deficits in communication and information transfer between hospital-based and primary care physicians.JAMA. 2007; 297: 831-841
- Association of communication between hospital-based physicians and primary care providers with patient outcomes.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 381-386
- Association of self-reported hospital discharge handoffs with 30-day readmissions.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 624-629
- Reliability and validity of triage systems in paediatric emergency care.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2009; 17: 38
- Emergency Severity Index version 4: a valid and reliable tool in pediatric emergency department triage.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012; 28: 753-757
- ED patients: how nonurgent are they? Systematic review of the emergency medicine literature.Am J Emerg Med. 2011; 29: 333-345
- Surveying physicians do components of the “total design approach” to optimizing survey response rates apply to physicians?.Med Care. 2002; 40: 596-605
- Effects of various methodologic strategies: survey response rates among Canadian physicians and physicians-in-training.Can Fam Physician. 2008; 54: 1424-1430
- Obamacare: what the Affordable Care Act means for patients and physicians.BMJ. 2014; 349: g5376
- The “medical neighborhood”: integrating primary and specialty care for ambulatory patients.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 454-457
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.