Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Guide to Measuring Household Food Security.(Revised March 2000. Measuring Food Security in the United States 6. Reports of the Federal Interagency Food Security Measurement Project) USDA, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Analysis, Nutrition, and Evaluation, Alexandria, Va2000 (Available at:)
Coleman-Jensen A, Nord M, Singh A. Household Food Security in the United States in 2012, ERR-155, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, September 2013.
- Household food insecurity during childhood and subsequent health status: the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study—Kindergarten Cohort.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: e50-e55
- Recent findings concerning childhood food insecurity.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009; 12: 310-316
- Household food insecurity: associations with at-risk infant and toddler development.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: 65-72
- Food insufficiency and American school-aged children's cognitive, academic, and psychosocial development.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: 44-53
- Food insecurity affects school children's academic performance, weight gain, and social skills.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 2831-2839
- Relationship between hunger and psychosocial functioning in low-income American children.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1998; 37: 163-170
- Adolescent maturity and the brain: the promise and pitfalls of neuroscience research in adolescent health policy.J Adolesc Health. 2009; 45: 216-221
- Food insecurity and the risks of depression and anxiety in mothers and behavior problems in their preschool-aged children.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e859-e868
- Hunger: its impact on children's health and mental health.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: e41
- Influence of maternal depression on household food insecurity for low-income families.Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15: 305-310
- Poverty, food insecurity, and the behavior for childhood internalizing and externalizing disorders.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 49: 444-452
- Food Insecurity and adjustment problems in a national sample of adolescents.J Child Poverty. 2007; 13: 111-132
- Family food insufficiency, but not low family income, is positively associated with dysthymia and suicide symptoms in adolescents.J Nutr. 2002; 132: 719-725
- Gender differences in food insecurity and morbidity among adolescents in southwest Ethiopia.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e398-e405
US Department of Education; Institute of Educational Sciences. Early Childhood Longitudinal Program (ECLS-K): Kindergarten Class of 1998–1999 (ECLS-K). Available at: http://nces.ed.gov/ecls/kindergarten.asp. Accessed July 22, 2010.
Nord M, Andrews M, Carlson S. Household food security in the United States, 2008. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/err83/dgben.htm. Accessed July 22, 2010.
- The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: US normative data and psychometric properties.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2005; 44: 557-564
- Using the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) to screen for child psychiatric disorders in a community sample.Br J Psychiatry. 2000; 177: 534-539
- Psychometric properties of the strengths and difficulties questionnaire.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 1337-1345
- The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ): the factor structure and scale validation in US adolescents.J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2013; 41: 583-595
SDQ: information for researchers and professionals about the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaires. Available at: http://www.sdqinfo.org/. Accessed July 22, 2010.
- Maternal depression and violence exposure: double jeopardy for child school functioning.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e792-e800
- Lifetime prevalence of mental disorders in US adolescents: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication—Adolescent Supplement (NCS-A).J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 49: 980-989
- Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General—Executive Summary.US Dept of Health and Human Services Administration; Center for Mental Health Services; National Institutes of Health; National Institute of Mental Health, Rockville, Md1999
- Food insecurity among homeless and runaway adolescents.Public Health Nutr. 2006; 9: 47-52
Normative SDQ data from the USA. SDQ frequency distribution for American 11–14 year olds. Available at: http://www.sdqinfo.org/norms/USNorm.html. Accessed April 24, 2015.
- Children's experiences of food insecurity can assist in understanding its effect on their well-being.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 1683-1690
- Do you know how I feel? Parents underestimate worry and overestimate optimism compared to child self-report.J Exp Child Psychol. 2012; 113: 211-232
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.