Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Asthma prevalence, health care use, and mortality: United States, 2005-2009.Natl Health Stat Report. 2011; 32: 1-14
- Status of childhood asthma in the United States, 1980-2007.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: S131-S145
- Current asthma prevalence - United States, 2006-2008.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2011; 60: 84-86
- Role of financial and social hardships in asthma racial disparities.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 431-439
- Race/ethnicity and asthma among children presenting to the emergency department: differences in disease severity and management.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: e615-e621
- Racial and ethnic disparities in asthma medication usage and health-care utilization: data from the National Asthma Survey.Chest. 2009; 136: 1063-1071
- Racial/ethnic differences in asthma-related emergency department visits and hospitalizations among children with wheeze in Buffalo, New York.J Asthma. 2008; 45: 916-922
- Racial differences in emergency department use persist despite allergist visits and prescriptions filled for antiinflammatory medications.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998; 101: 484-490
- Urban minority children with asthma: substantial morbidity, compromised quality and access to specialists, and the importance of poverty and specialty care.J Asthma. 2009; 46: 392-398
- Racial/ethnic variation in asthma status and management practices among children in managed Medicaid.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: 857-865
- Disparities in access to care among asthmatic children in relation to race and socioeconomic status.J Child Health Care. 2010; 14: 271-279
- Impact of site of care, race, and Hispanic ethnicity on medication use for childhood asthma.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: E1
- Mortality in patients hospitalized for asthma exacerbations in the United States.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006; 174: 633-638
- Coexisting chronic conditions associated with mortality and morbidity in adult patients with asthma.J Asthma. 2014; 51: 306-314
- Asthma and comorbid medical illness.Eur Respir J. 2011; 38: 42-49
- Asthma-related comorbidities.Expert Rev Respir Med. 2011; 5: 377-393
- Racial disparities in children hospitalized with asthma at academic childrens' hospitals.Pediatr Asthma Allergy Immunol. 2006; 19: 162-171
HCUP. Overview of the National (Nationwide) Inpatient Sample (NIS). Available at: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jsp. Accessed March 2, 2015.
HCUP. Cost-to-Charge Ratio Files. Available at: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/state/costtocharge.jsp. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Smearing estimate: a nonparametric retransformation method.J Am Stat Assoc. 1983; 78: 605-610
United States Census Bureau. State & County QuickFacts. Available at: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Asthma hospitalizations among American Indian and Alaska Native people and for the general US population.Chest. 2006; 130: 1554-1562
- Epidemiology of asthma hospitalizations among American Indian and Alaska Native people and the general United States population.Chest. 2015; 146: 624-632
- Asthma prevalence among US children in underrepresented minority populations: American Indian/Alaska Native, Chinese, Filipino, and Asian Indian.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: e217-e222
- Urban American Indian family caregivers’ perceptions of barriers to management of childhood asthma.J Pediatr Nurs. 2003; 18: 2-11
- Navajo perceptions of asthma and asthma medications: clinical implications.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: E11
- A comparison of knowledge about asthma between Asians and non-Asians at two pediatric clinics.J Immigr Minor Health. 2007; 9: 245-254
- Screening for asthma in Cantonese-speaking immigrant children.BMC Public Health. 2005; 5: 48
- Adverse asthma outcomes among children hospitalized with asthma in California.Pediatrics. 1998; 101: 845-850
- Asthma prevalence in Hispanic and Asian American ethnic subgroups: results from the California Healthy Kids Survey.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e363-e370
- Outdoor air pollution, family and neighborhood environment, and asthma in LA FANS children.Health Place. 2009; 15: 25-36
- Effect of air pollution on asthma-related hospital admissions for children by socioeconomic status associated with area of residence.Arch Environ Occup Health. 2007; 61: 123-130
- Reducing emergency department visits and hospitalizations in African American and Hispanic patients with asthma: a 15-year review.J Asthma. 2005; 42: 807-812
- Effects of asthma education on children's use of acute care services: a meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: 575-586
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.