Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Making early childhood count.CMAJ. 2009; 180: 68-71
- Diagnosis and prevention of iron deficiency and iron-deficiency anemia in infants and young children (0–3 years of age).Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 1040-1050
- Iron deficiency is a public health problem in Canadian infants and children.Paediatr Child Health. 2010; 15: 347-350
- Assessment of iron deficiency in US preschool children and nonpregnant females of childbearing age: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003–2006.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 1334-1342
- America Becoming: Racial Trends and Their Consequences. Volume 2.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001
- Guiding Principles for Complementary Feeding of the Breastfed Child.Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization, Washington, DC2003
- Evaluation of meat as a first complementary food for breastfed infants: impact on iron intake.Nutr Rev. 2011; 69: S57-S63
- Risk factors for poor iron status in British toddlers: further analysis of data from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey of children aged 1.5–4.5 years.Public Health Nutr. 2000; 3: 433-440
- Influence of diet on iron, copper, and zinc status in children under 24 months of age.Biol Trace Elem Res. 2004; 97: 197-214
- Predictors of iron status in well-nourished 4-y-old children.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 839-845
- Anemia and iron deficiency in children: association with red meat and poultry consumption.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013; 57: 722-727
- Meat intake and iron status in late infancy: an intervention study.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1998; 26: 26-33
- Complementary food with low (8%) or high (12%) meat content as source of dietary iron: a double-blinded randomized controlled trial.Eur J Nutr. 2010; 49: 11-18
- Efficacy of meat and iron-fortified commercial cereal to prevent iron depletion in cow milk-fed infants 6 to 12 months of age: a randomized controlled trial.Can J Public Health. 2000; 91: 263-267
- Meat as a first complementary food for breastfed infants: feasibility and impact on zinc intake and status.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2006; 42: 207-214
- Effects of different complementary feeding regimens on iron status and enteric microbiota in breastfed infants.J Pediatr. 2013; 163: 416-423
- Randomized controlled trial of meat compared with multimicronutrient-fortified cereal in infants and toddlers with high stunting rates in diverse settings.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 840-847
- Food-based strategies improve iron status in toddlers: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 1541-1551
Health Canada Canadian Paediatric Society; Dieticians of Canada; Breastfeeding Committee for Canada. Nutrition for healthy term infants: recommendations from six to 24 months, 2014. Available at: www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/infant-nourisson/recom/index-eng.php. Accessed November 15, 2014.
Government of Canada. Maternity and parental leave. 2014. Available at: http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/Eng/forConsumers/lifeEvents/havingChildren/Pages/Maternit-Congeacu.aspx. Accessed November 15, 2014.
- What Mothers Say: The Canadian Maternity Experiences Survey.Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa2009
Center for Disease Control. Breastfeeding report card: United States, 2014. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/pdf/2014breastfeedingreportcard.pdf. Accessed December 13, 2014.
- Cohort profile: the Applied Research Group for Kids (TARGet Kids!).Int J Epidemiol. 2015; 44: 776-788
Statistics Canada. Canadian Community Health Survey. 2014. Available at: http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SDDS=3226#a4. Accessed December 13, 2014.
- Iron deficiency and risk factors for lower iron stores in 6–24-month-old New Zealanders.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004; 58: 71-79
- Nutrition Screening Tool for Every Preschooler (NutriSTEP(TM)): validation and test–retest reliability of a parent-administered questionnaire assessing nutrition risk of preschoolers.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008; 62: 770-780
- Methods to assess iron and iodine status.Br J Nutr. 2008; 99: S2-S9
- WHO child growth standards: methods and development. Length/height-for-age, weight-for-age, weight-for-length, weight-for-height and body mass index-for-age.2006 (Available at:)Accessed December 13, 2014)
- Automated Geographic Coding Based on the Statistics Canada Postal Code Conversion Files, Including Postal Codes through March 2009.Statistics Canada, Ottawa2010
- Association between total duration of breastfeeding and iron deficiency.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e1530-e1537
- Iron depletion is associated with daytime bottle-feeding in the second and third years of life.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 1114-1120
- The relationship between cow's milk and stores of vitamin D and iron in early childhood.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 1-8
- Severe iron-deficiency anaemia and feeding practices in young children.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 1: 1-7
- Recommendations to prevent and control iron deficiency in the United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998; 47: 1-29
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.