Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence and trends in obesity and severe obesity among children in the United States, 1999–2012.JAMA Pediatr. 2014; 168: 561-566
- Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 869-873
- A poll about children and weight: crunch time during the American work and school week—3 pm to bed.2013 (Available at:)Accessed November 4, 2015)
- Oblivobesity: looking over the overweight that parents keep overlooking.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 225-226
- Change in misperception of child's body weight among parents of American preschool children.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 384-393
- A systematic review of parental perception of overweight status in children.J Ambul Care Manage. 2008; 31: 253-268
- Difference between parental perception and actual weight status of children: a systematic review.Matern Child Nutr. 2013; 9: 3-22
- Effects on cardiovascular disease risk of a Web-based health risk assessment with tailored health advice: a follow-up study.Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2011; 7: 67-74
- The effectiveness of one-to-one risk communication interventions in health care: a systematic review.Med Decis Making. 2000; 20: 290-297
GfK. Knowledge networks. Available at: http://www.knowledgenetworks.com/ganp/. 2014. Accessed November 4, 2015.
American National Election Studies. The ANES Guide to Public Opinion and Electoral Behavior. Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan, Center for Political Studies.
- Effect of the first federally funded US antismoking national media campaign.Lancet. 2013; 382: 2003-2011
TESS: Time-Sharing Experiments for the Social Sciences. Available at: http://www.tessexperiments.org/. Accessed November 4, 2015.
- Parent-reported height and weight as sources of bias in survey estimates of childhood obesity.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 178: 461-473
- Regression models to predict corrected weight, height and obesity prevalence from self-reported data: data from BRFSS, 1999–2007.Int J Obes (Lond). 2010; 34: 1655-1664
- A new scale for assessing perceptions of chance: a validation study.Med Decis Making. 2000; 20: 298-307
- Development and testing of an abbreviated numeracy scale: a Rasch analysis approach.J Behav Decis Making. 2013; 26: 198-212
- The role of numeracy in understanding the benefit of screening mammography.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 127: 966-972
- Standardizing anthropometric measures in children and adolescents with new functions for egen.Stata J. 2004; 4: 50-55
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About adult BMI. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/. Accessed November 4, 2015.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About child and teen BMI. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html. Accessed November 4, 2015.
- Trends in national and state-level obesity in the USA after correction for self-report bias: analysis of health surveys.J R Soc Med. 2006; 99: 250-257
- Evaluation of bias in estimates of early childhood obesity from parent-reported heights and weights.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 1255-1262
- The Consumer Assessment of Health Plan Study (CAHPS) survey of children's health care.Jt Comm J Qual Improv. 1999; 25: 369-377
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 12.StataCorp LP, College Station, Tex2011
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011–2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Factors associated with parent concern for child weight and parenting behaviors.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 269-274
- Understanding family motivations and barriers to participation in community-based programs for overweight youth: one program model does not fit all.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2013; 19: E1-E10
- Parents as the start of the solution: a social marketing approach to understanding triggers and barriers to entering a childhood weight management service.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2015; 28: 83-92
- Weight status and perception barriers to healthy physical activity and diet behavior.Int J Obes (Lond). 2008; 32: 343-352
- One-year follow-up of a therapeutic lifestyle intervention targeting cardiovascular disease risk.CMAJ. 2007; 177: 859-865
- Obesity stigma: important considerations for public health.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 1019-1028
- “I call it the blame and shame disease”: a qualitative study about perceptions of social stigma surrounding type 2 diabetes.BMJ Open. 2013; 3: e003384
- Public opinion and the politics of obesity in America.J Health Polit Policy Law. 2005; 30: 923-954
- Family history and parents' beliefs about consequences of childhood overweight and their influence on children's health behaviors.Acad Pediatr. 2009; 9: 53-59
- Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: S164-S192
- Hispanic parental perceptions of child weight in preschool-aged children: an integrated review.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 549-559
- Dynamics of childhood growth and obesity: development and validation of a quantitative mathematical model.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 97-105
- Reducing childhood obesity through US federal policy: a microsimulation analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 604-612
- Simulation models of obesity: a review of the literature and implications for research and policy.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: 378-394
- Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the USA and the UK.Lancet. 2011; 378: 815-825
Cheng YHA. Longer exposure to obesity, slimmer chance of college? Body weight trajectories, non-cognitive skills, and college completion. Youth Soc. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0044118X14540183.
- National surveys via RDD telephone interviewing versus the Internet: comparing sample representativeness and response quality.Public Opin Q. 2009; 73: 641-678
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.