Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Racial disparities in pediatric asthma: a review of the literature.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2011; 11: 85-90
National Institutes of Health. Department of Health and Human Services. National Asthma Control Initiative. Reducing asthma disparities. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/resources/lung/naci/discover/disparities.htm. Accessed March 1, 2016.
- Trends in asthma prevalence, healthcare use, and mortality in the United States, 2001-2010.in: NCHS data brief, no 94. National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2012
- Racial and income disparities in childhood asthma in the United States.Ambul Pediatr. 2002; 2: 382-387
- Addressing asthma health disparities: a multilevel challenge.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123 (quiz 1218–1219): 1209-1217
- Socioeconomic status in health research: one size does not fit all.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2879-2888
- Socioeconomic status and health in blacks and whites: the problem of residual confounding and the resiliency of race.Epidemiology. 1997; 8: 621-628
Desilver D. Black incomes are up, but wealth isn't. Available at: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/08/30/black-incomes-are-up-but-wealth-isnt. Accessed November 23, 2015.
Ouellette T, Burstein N, Long D, et al. Measures of material hardship: final report. Available at: http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/material-hardship04/index.htm. Accessed March 1, 2016.
- Material hardship in the United States: evidence from the Survey of Income and Program Participation.Soc Work Res. 2001; 25: 143-151
- Housing and wealth inequality: racial-ethnic differences in home equity in the United States.Demography. 2004; 41: 585-605
- Assessing alternative measures of wealth in health research.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 939-947
- Should health studies measure wealth?: A systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: 250-264
- Cumulative hardship and wellness of low-income, young children: multisite surveillance study.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: e1115-e1123
- Housing and health in Germany.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2004; 58: 216-222
- Housing affordability and health among homeowners and renters.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 515-521
- The role of housing type and housing quality in urban children with asthma.J Urban Health. 2010; 87: 211-224
- Social and environmental stressors in the home and childhood asthma.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2010; 64: 636-642
- Individual, housing, and neighborhood correlates of asthma among young urban children.J Urban Health. 2013; 90: 116-129
- Advancing a multilevel framework for epidemiologic research on asthma disparities.Chest. 2007; 132: 757S-769S
US Department of Housing, and Urban Development. American housing survey for the United States: 2011. Available at: https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/programs-surveys/ahs/data/2011/h150-11.pdf. Accessed March 1, 2016.
United States Census Bureau. American Housing Survey (AHS). AHS 2011 national summary report and tables. Available at: http://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/ahs/data/2011/ahs-2011-summary-tables/h150-11.html. Accessed March 22, 2016.
US Department of Health & Human Services. ASPE. Office of The Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation. Poverty guidelines. Available at: https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines. Published November 23, 2015. Accessed March 18, 2016.
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 11.StataCorp LP, College Station, TX2009
- Racial disparities in childhood asthma in the United States: evidence from the National Health Interview Survey, 1997 to 2003.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: e868-e877
- Disparities in asthma hospitalization in Massachusetts.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 358-362
- Ethnic differences in asthma and associated phenotypes: collaborative study on the genetics of asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 108: 357-362
- Genomewide screen and identification of gene-gene interactions for asthma-susceptibility loci in three U.S. populations: collaborative study on the genetics of asthma.Am J Hum Genet. 2001; 68: 1437-1446
- Does SES explain more of the black/white health gap than we thought? Revisiting our approach toward understanding racial disparities in health.Soc Sci Med. 2012; 74: 1385-1393
- Race/ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status—research exploring their effects on child health: a subject review.Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 1349-1351
- Social determinants: taking the social context of asthma seriously.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: S174-S184
- The indoor environment and its effects on childhood asthma.Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011; 11: 137-143
- Role of financial and social hardships in asthma racial disparities.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 431-439
- Housing interventions and control of asthma-related indoor biologic agents: a review of the evidence.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2010; 16: S11-S20
- The relationship of housing and population health: a 30-year retrospective analysis.Environ Health Perspect. 2009; 117: 597-604
United States Census Bureau. Wealth and asset ownership. Available at: http://www.census.gov/people/wealth/. Accessed December 1, 2015.
- Racial/ethnic differences in asthma prevalence: the role of housing and neighborhood environments.J Health Soc Behav. 2008; 49: 131-145
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.