Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
United Nations. Treaty collection. Chapter XVIII. Penal matters. 12. A protocol to prevent, suppress and punish trafficking in persons especially women and children, supplementing the United Nations convention against transnational organized crime. Available at: https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetails.aspx?src=IND&mtdsg_no=XVIII-12-a&chapter=18&clang=_en. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- Confronting Commercial Sexual Exploitation and Sex Trafficking of Minors in the United States.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2013
- Confronting Commercial Sexual Exploitation and Sex Trafficking of Minors in the United States: A Guide for the Health Care Sector.National Academies Press, Washington DC2014
- Characteristics of Suspected Human Trafficking Incidents, 2008-2010.US Department of Justice, Washington DC2011
Stansky M, Finkelhor D. Crimes Against Children Research Center. How many juveniles are involved in prostitution in the U.S.? Available at: http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/prostitution/Juvenile_Prostitution_factsheet.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
Smith L, Vardaman S, Snow M. The national report on domestic minor sex trafficking. America's prostituted children. Available at: http://sharedhope.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/SHI_National_Report_on_DMST_2009.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
US Department of State. Trafficking in persons report. Available at: http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2015. Accessed May 31, 2016.
Polaris. Available at: https://polarisproject.org. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- Prevalence and correlates of survival sex among runaway and homeless youth.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1406-1409
- Commercial sexual exploitation and sex trafficking of children in the United States.Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care. 2014; 44: 245-269
- New York Prevalence Study of Commercially Sexually Exploited Children: Final Report.New York State Office of Children and Family Services, New York2007
World Health Organization. Violence Prevention Alliance. The ecological framework. Available at: http://www.who.int/violenceprevention/approach/ecology/en. Accessed November 8, 2016.
Bigelsen J, Vuotto S. Covenant House. Homelessness, survival sex and human trafficking: as experienced by the youth of Covenant House New York. Available at: http://center.serve.org/nche/downloads/cov-hs-trafficking.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- Assessing exploitation experiences of girls and boys seen at a child advocacy center.Child Abuse Neglect. 2015; 46: 47-59
- Characteristics of child commercial sexual exploitation and sex trafficking victims presenting for medical care in the United States.Child Abuse Neglect. 2015; 44: 98-105
- Surviving the Streets of New York: Experiences of LGBTQ Youth, YMSM, YWSW Engaged in Survival Sex.Urban Institute, Washington DC2015
Finklea K, Fernandes-Alcantara A, Siskin A. Congressional Research Service. Sex trafficking of children in the United States: overview and issues for Congress. Available at: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41878.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- Child sex trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation: health care needs of victims.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: 566-574
- The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children in New York City: Volume 1: The CSEC Population in New York City: Size, Characteristics and Needs.National Institute of Justice, US Department of Justice, Washington DC2008
- The commercial sexual exploitation and sex trafficking of minors in the Boston metropolitan area: experiences and challenges faced by front-line providers and other stakeholders.J Appl Res Child. 2015; 6: 1-21
- Health outcomes among women trafficked for sex in the United States: a closer look.J Interpers Violence. 2013; 28: 1859-1885
NCTSN. The National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Complex trauma. Available at: http://nctsn.org/trauma-types/complex-trauma. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- The health consequences of sex trafficking and their implications for identifying victims in healthcare facilities.Ann Health Law. 2014; 23: 61-91
- Identifying best practices for “Safe Harbor” legislation to protect child sex trafficking victims: decriminalization alone is not sufficient.Child Abuse Neglect. 2016; 51: 249-262
- The Health Risks and Consequences of Trafficking in Women and Adolescents: Findings From a European Study.London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), London2003
- Human Trafficking Into and Within the United States: A Review of the Literature.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington DC2009
- Medical education on human trafficking.AMA J Ethics. 2015; 17: 914-921
- Justice for girls: are we making progress?.Criminal Justice. 2013; 28: 9-17
Child Welfare Council. Ending the commercial sexual exploitation of children: a call for multi-system collaboration in California. Available at: http://www.chhs.ca.gov/Child%20Welfare/Ending%20CSEC%20-%20A%20Call%20for%20Multi-System%20Collaboration%20in%20CA%20-%20February%202013.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
SAMHSA. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Trauma-informed approach and trauma-specific interventions. Available at: http://www.samhsa.gov/nctic/trauma-interventions. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- Recognizing victims of human trafficking in the pediatric emergency department.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015; 31: 144-150
Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000. Pub. L. No. 106-386, 114 Stat.1464, United States Congress, 116th Sess, (2000). Å.
Shared Hope International. Report trafficking. Available at: https://sharedhope.org/join-the-cause/report-trafficking/. Accessed August 31, 2017.
- Human trafficking and health: a cross-sectional survey of NHS professionals' contact with victims of human trafficking.BMJ Open. 2015; 5: e008682
- Medical providers' understanding of sex trafficking and their experiences with at-risk patients.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: e895-e902
AMWA. American Medical Women's Association. Position paper on the sex trafficking of women and girls in the United States. Available at: https://www.amwa-doc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/AMWA-Position-Paper-on-Human-Sex-Trafficking_May-20141.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- Human trafficking: review of educational resources for health professionals.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 283-289
- Identification of human trafficking victims in health care settings.Health Hum Rights. 2011; 13: E36-E49
- Pimp control and violence: domestic sex trafficking of Chicago women and girls.Women and Criminal Justice. 2010; 20: 89-104
- Sex-trafficking, violence, negotiating skill and HIV infection in brothel-based sex workers of Eastern India, adjoining Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh.J Health Popul Nutr. 2008; 26: 223-231
- Challenges faced by homeless sexual minorities: comparison of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender homeless adolescents with their heterosexual counterparts.Am J Publ Health. 2002; 92: 773-777
- Transgender youth: invisible and vulnerable.J Homosexuality. 2006; 51: 111-128
- Women are victims, men make choices: the invisibility of men and boys in the global sex trade.Gender Issues. 2008; 1: 11-25
ECPAT USA. And Boys Too: An ECPAT-USA discussion paper about the lack of recognition of the commercial sexual exploitation of boys in the United States. Available at: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/594970e91b631b3571be12e2/t/5977b2dacd0f688b2b89e6f0/1501016795183/ECPAT-USA_AndBoysToo.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- A short screening tool to identify victims of child sex trafficking in the health care setting.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015; (Epub ahead of print)
- Using a clinic-based screening tool for primary care providers to identify commercially sexually exploited children.J Appl Res Child. 2015; 6 (Issue 1, Article 6)
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.