Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Epic of America.Little, Brown, Boston, MA1931
- Invest in Kids: Restoring the American Dream.(Huffington Post)2014 (Available at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-lesley/invest-in-kids-restoring-_b_4886707.html. Accessed August 16, 2017)
- The Future of Wealth in the United States.Deloitte University Press, 2015 (Available at: https://dupress.deloitte.com/dup-us-en/industry/investment-management/us-generational-wealth-trends.html. Accessed August 16, 2017)
- American Dream Collapsing for Young Adults, Study Says, as Odds Plunge that Children Will Earn More Than Their Parents.(Washington Post)2016 (Available at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/08/american-dream-collapsing-for-young-americans-study-says-finding-plunging-odds-that-children-earn-more-than-their-parents. Accessed August 16, 2017)
- Wage stagnation, rising inequality and the financial crisis of 2008.Camb J Econ. 2013; 37: 921-945
- A Guide to Statistics on Historical Trends in Income Inequality.Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Washington, DC2016
Dobbs R, Madgavkar A, Manyika J, et al. Poorer Than Their Parents? A New Perspective on Income Inequality. McKinsey & Company. Available at: https://www.mckinsey.com/global-themes/employment-and-growth/poorer-than-their-parents-a-new-perspective-on-income-inequality. Accessed September 16, 2017.
- Ten Great Public Health Achievements—United States, 2001-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 619-623
- Mental Health, Racial Inequities Lead 2016 Top 10 Child Health Concerns.(C. S. Mott Children's Hospital)2016 (Available at: http://mottnpch.org/reports-surveys/mental-health-racial-inequities-lead-2016-top-10-child-health-concerns. Accessed September 16, 2017)
- Healthy People 2020. US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2016
- Policy Priorities 2016. National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, Washington, DC2016
- Keeping the Aging Population Healthy. Council of State Governments’ Healthy States Initiative, Washington, DC2007
- The impact of the “aging of America” on children.Health Aff (Milwood). 2004; 23: 168-174
- Reassessing how society prioritizes the health of young people.Health Aff (Milwood). 2007; 26: 345-354
C. S. Mott Children's Hospital National Poll on Children's Health. C. S. Mott Children's Hospital, 2016. Available at: https://mottpoll.org/about. Accessed September 16, 2017.
- Sources and perceived credibility of vaccine-safety information for parents.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: S107-S112
- Public awareness, perception, and use of online physician rating sites.JAMA. 2014; 311: 734-735
- Perspectives and preferences among the general public regarding physician selection and board certification.J Pediatr. 2010; 156: 841-845.e841
- Parent perception of newborn hearing screening: results of a US national survey.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016; 142: 538-543
- KnowledgePanel Design Summary.2013 (Available at: http://www.knowledgenetworks.com/knpanel/docs/knowledgepanel(R)-design-summary-description.pdf. Accessed November 7, 2016)
- The Generations Defined.2015 (Available at: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/05/11/millennials-surpass-gen-xers-as-the-largest-generation-in-u-s-labor-force/ft_15-05-11_millennialsdefined. Accessed March 8, 2016)
- Analysis of categorical response data from complex surveys: an appraisal and update.in: Chambers R.L. Skinner C.J. Analysis of Survey Data. Wiley, New York, NY2003: 85-108
- Standard Defintions Response Rate Calculator v4.0.2016 (Available at: http://www.aapor.org/Standards-Ethics/Standard-Definitions-(1).aspx. Accessed September 16, 2017)
- How healthy are our children?.Future Child. 2015; 25: 11-34
- Inequality in mortality decreased among the young while increasing for older adults, 1990–2010.Science. 2016; 352: 708-712
- Trends in mental health care among children and adolescents.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2029-2038
- Mental health surveillance among children—United States, 2005–2011.MMWR Suppl. 2013; 62: 1-35
- Time period and birth cohort differences in depressive symptoms in the US, 1982–2013.Soc Indic Res. 2015; 121: 437-454
- Suicide Rates for Females and Males by Race and Ethnicity: United States, 1999 and 2014.2016 (Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/suicide/rates_1999_2014.htm. Accessed September 16, 2017)
- Children's Exposure to Violence: A Comprehensive National Survey.Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, 2009 (Available at: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/227744.pdf. Accessed September 16, 2017)
- The effect of perceived and structural neighborhood conditions on adolescents' physical activity and sedentary behaviors.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010; 164: 935-942
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999–2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 483-490
McCarthy J. Three in 10 US parents worry about child's safety at school. Gallup News, 2015. Available at: http://news.gallup.com/poll/184853/three-parents-worry-child-safety-school.aspx. Accessed September 16, 2017.
Conflict of interest: Mr Wietecha is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Children's Hospital Association, which partially funded this study. The other authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.