Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
United States Department of Health and Human Services. E-Cigarette Use Among Youth and Young Adults: A Report of the Surgeon General. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health. Published 2016. Available at:https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/documents/2016_sgr_full_report_non-508.pdf. Accessed April 10, 2019.
- Analysis of electronic cigarette cartridges, refill solutions, and smoke for nicotine and nicotine related impurities.J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol. 2011; 34: 1442-1458
- Electronic cigarettes and nicotine clinical pharmacology.Tob Control. 2014; 23: ii30-ii35
- QuickStats: Cigarette Smoking Status* Among Current Adult E-cigarette Users,† by Age Group—National Health Interview Survey,§ United States, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1177
- Trends in electronic cigarette use among U.S. adults: use is increasing in both smokers and nonsmokers.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 1195-1202
- Prevalence and distribution of e-cigarette use among U.S. adults: behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2016.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 429-438
- Electronic cigarettes as smoking cessation tool: are we there?.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2017; 23: 111-116
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 2016CD010216
- Public health consequences of e-cigarette use.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 984-986
- “Smoking revolution”: a content analysis of electronic cigarette retail websites.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 395-403
- A randomized trial of e-cigarettes versus nicotine-replacement therapy.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 629-637
- Electronic nicotine delivery systems and/or electronic non-nicotine delivery systems for tobacco smoking cessation or reduction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2017; 7
- E-cigarettes and smoking cessation in real-world and clinical settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2016; 4: 116-128
- Behavioral and pharmacotherapy interventions for tobacco smoking cessation in adults, including pregnant women: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 622-634
- Changes in electronic cigarette use among adults in the United States, 2014–2016.JAMA. 2018; 319: 2039-2041
- E-cigarette marketing and older smokers: road to renormalization.Am J Health Behav. 2015; 39: 361-371
Glasser A, Abudayyeh H, Cantrell J, et al. Patterns of e-cigarette use among youth and young adults: review of the impact of e-cigarettes on cigarette smoking. Nicotine Tob Res. doi: 10.1093/ntr/nty103.
- Comparison of nicotine and toxicant exposure in users of electronic cigarettes and combustible cigarettes.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1 (e185937–e185937)
- Parent and child cigarette use: a longitudinal, multigenerational study.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: e568-e577
- Electronic cigarette use and exposure in the pediatric population.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 177-182
- Parental use of electronic cigarettes.Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15: 599-604
- Flavorings in electronic cigarettes: an unrecognized respiratory health hazard?.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2493-2494
- Parental smoking and E-cigarette use in homes and cars.Pediatrics. 2019; 143e20183249
Clinicaltrials.gov. Clinical Effort Against Secondhand Smoke (CEASE) Program or Standard Care in Helping Parents Stop Smoking. 2008. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00664261. Accessed November 1, 2018.
- Perceptions of harm to children exposed to secondhand aerosol from electronic vapor products, styles survey, 2015.Prev Chronic Dis. 2017; 14160567
- A pilot study on nicotine residues in houses of electronic cigarette users, tobacco smokers, and non-users of nicotine-containing products.Int J Drug Policy. 2015; 26: 609-611
- E-Cigarettes.Circulation. 2014; 129: 1972-1986
- Electronic cigarettes are a source of thirdhand exposure to nicotine.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 256-258
- Preventing Tobacco Use Among Youth and Young Adults: A Report of the Surgeon General.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA2012
- Nicotine and the developing human.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 286−293
- Cigarette smoking cessation attempts among current US smokers who also use smokeless tobacco.Addict Behav. 2015; 51: 113-119
- Electronic cigarettes, quit attempts and smoking cessation: a 6-month follow-up.Addiction. 2017; 112: 1620-1628
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update. Clinical Practice Guideline.US Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service, Rockville, MD2008
- The transtheoretical change model of health behavior.Am J Health Promot. 1997; 12: 38-48
- Electronic nicotine delivery system dual use and intention to quit smoking: will the socioeconomic gap in smoking get greater?.Addict Behav. 2016; 61: 112-116
- Balancing the benefits and harms of E-cigarettes: a National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine report.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 168: 666-667
- Modelling the population health effects of e-cigarettes use: current data can help guide future policy decisions.Nicotine Tob Res. 2017; 19: 131-132
- Dual use of combustible and electronic cigarettes: patterns and associations between products.Tob Induc Dis. 2018; 16
- Tobacco control and treatment for the pediatric clinician: practice, policy, and research updates.Acad Pediatr. 2017; 17: 233-242
- Implementation of a parental tobacco control intervention in pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 109-117
The authors have no conflicts of interest relevant to this article to disclose. Not related to this article, Dr. Rigotti receives royalties from UpToDate, Inc, is an unpaid consultant to Pfizer regarding smoking cessation, and is a paid consultant to Achieve LifeSciences regarding an investigational smoking cessation aid.