Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effective discipline to raise healthy children.Pediatrics. 2018; (Retrieved from)
- Guidance for effective discipline.Pediatrics. 1998; 101: 723-728
- Corporal punishment by parents and associated child behaviors and experiences: a meta-analytic and theoretical review.Psychol Bull. 2002; 128: 539-579
- Spanking and child outcomes: old controversies and new meta-analyses.J Fam Psychol. 2016; 30: 453-469https://doi.org/10.1037/fam0000191
- A meta-analysis of the published research on the affective, cognitive, and behavioral effects of corporal punishment.J Psychol. 2004; 138: 197-221https://doi.org/10.3200/JRLP.138.3.197-222
- Four in Five Americans Believe Parents Spanking Their Children is Sometimes Appropriate.Harris Insights and Analytics, New York, NY2013 (Retrieved from:)https://theharrispoll.com/new-york-n-y-september-26-2013-to-spank-or-not-to-spank-its-an-age-old-question-that-every-parent-must-face-some-parents-may-start-off-with-the-notion-that-i-will-never-spank-my-child-bu/
- Socioeconomic gaps in parents’ discipline strategies from 1988 to 2011.Pediatrics. 2016; 138https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-0720
Smith, TW, Davern, M, Freese, J, et al., General Social Surveys, 1972-2016[machine-readable data file]/Principal Investigator, Smith, Tom W; Co-Principal Investigators, Peter V. Marsden and Michael Hout; Sponsored by National Science Foundation. –NORC ed.– Chicago: NORC, 2017.
- Corporal punishment: current rates from a national survey.J Child Fam Stud. 2019; 28: 1991-1997https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-019-01426-4
- Spanking children: the controversies, findings, and new directions.Clin Psychol Rev. 2003; 23: 197-224https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7358(02)00206-4
- Attachment and Loss, Vol. 1: Attachment.Basic Books, New York1969
- Sensitivity and attachment: a meta-analysis on parental antecedents of infant attachment.Child Dev. 1997; 68: 571-591
- The significance of insecure attachment and disorganization in the development of children's externalizing behavior: a meta‐analytic study.Child Dev. 2010; 81: 435-456
- The significance of insecure and disorganized attachment for children's internalizing symptoms: a meta‐analytic study.Child Dev. 2012; 83: 591-610
- A meta-analysis of attachment to parents and delinquency.J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2012; 40: 771-785
- Physical discipline and behavior problems in African American, European American, and Hispanic children: Emotional support as a moderator.J Marriage Fam. 2002; 64: 40-53https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2002.00040.x
- Aggression: A Social Learning Analysis.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1973
- Does warmth moderate longitudinal associations between maternal spanking and child aggression in early childhood.Dev Psychol. 2013; 49: 2017-2028https://doi.org/10.1037/a0031630
- Hugs, not hits: warmth and spanking as predictors of child social competence.J Marriage Fam. 2016; 78: 695-714https://doi.org/10.1111/jomf.12306
- Fragile families: sample and design.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2001; 23: 303-326
User's Guide for the Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study Public Data, Year 3. Princeton, NJ.
- Manual for the ASEBA Preschool Forms & Profiles.University of Vermont, Research Center for Children, Youth, & Families, Burlington, VT2000
- Defining and assessing individual differences in attachment relationships: Q-methodology and the organization of behavior in infancy and early childhood.in: Bretherton I. Waters E. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development: Growing Points in Attachment Theory and Research. 50. Wiley, 1985: 41-65 (1-2, Serial No. 209)
- Assessing attachment security with the Attachment Q Sort: meta-analytic evidence for the validity of the Observer AQS.Child Dev. 2004; 75: 1188-1213
- Stability of Q-sort attachment security from age two to five.Infant Behav Dev. 1998; 21: 785-791
- The World Health Organization Composite International Diagnostic Interview Short Form (CIDI-SF).Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 1998; 7: 171-185
- The EAS temperament questionnaire – factor structure, age trends, reliability, and stability in a Norwegian sample.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1999; 40: 431-439
Muthén LK, Muthén BO. Mplus User's Guide, 8th ed. Los Angeles, CA: Muthén & Muthén; 1998-2017.
- Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling.4th ed. Guilford Press, New York2016
- Ensuring positiveness of the scaled difference chi-square test statistic.Psychometrika. 2010; 75: 243https://doi.org/10.1007/s11336-009-9135-y
- Spanking and young children's socioemotional development in low- and middle-income countries.Child Abuse Negl. 2019; 88: 84-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2018.11.003
- Children's temperament, mothers’ discipline, and security of attachment: multiple pathways to emerging internalization.Child Dev. 1995; 66: 597-615
- Longitudinal associations of neighborhood collective efficacy and maternal corporal punishment with behavior problems in early childhood.Dev Psychol. 2017; 53: 1027-1041https://doi.org/10.1037/dev0000308
- Eavesdropping on the family: a pilot investigation of corporal punishment in the home.J Fam Psychol. 2014; 28: 401-406
- Wait until your father gets home? Fathers’ and mothers’ spanking and development of child aggression.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2015; 52: 158-166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2014.11.006
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.