Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Pediatrics
Walker C. 10 years. 180 school shootings. 356 victims. CNN. Available at: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/07/us/ten-years-of-school-shootings-trnd/. Accessed August 19, 2019.
- Key Injury and Violence Data.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2017 (Available at:)Accessed April 29, 2019)
- Hartford consensus: a call to action for THREAT, a medical disaster preparedness concept.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 218: 467-475https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2013.12.009
- A call to action to develop programs for bystanders to control severe bleeding.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 1103-1104https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2016.2789
JEMS Staff. What the White House's Stop the Bleed Campaign means for EMS; 2016. Available at:http://www.jems.com/articles/print/volume-41/issue-40/special-focus-gearing-up-for-active-shooter-tactical-high-threat-incidents/what-the-white-house-s-stop-the-bleed-campaign-means-for-ems.html. Accessed August 19, 2019.
Stop the Bleed. American College of Surgeons. Available at: http://stopthebleed.org. Accessed November 19, 2018.
Until Help Arrives. American College of Emergency Physicians. Available at: https://www.acep.org/until-help-arrives/. Accessed August 19, 2019.
- The giving back: battlefield lesson to national preparedness.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016; 80: 166-167https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000899
- Military medical revolution: prehospital combat casualty care.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: S372-S377https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3182755662
- Post-mortem evaluation of potentially survivable hemorrhagic death in a civilian population.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 227: 502-506https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2018.08.692
- Tourniquet use at the Boston Marathon bombing: lost in translation.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 78: 594-599https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000561
- The trauma center is too late: major limb trauma without a pre-hospital tourniquet has increased death from hemorrhagic shock.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 83: 1165-1172https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000001666
- Tourniquet use for civilian extremity trauma.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 79: 232-237https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000747
- Brief, web-based education improved lay rescuer application of a tourniquet to control life-threatening bleeding.AEM Ed Train. 2018; 2: 141-161https://doi.org/10.1002/aet2.10093
- Just-in-time to save lives: a pilot study of layperson tourniquet application.Acad Emerg Med. 2015; 22: 1113-1117https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12742
- Analysis of layperson tourniquet application using a novel color-coded device.Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2016; 10: 274-280https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2016.4
- Effectiveness of instructional interventions for hemorrhage control readiness for laypersons in the Public Access and Tourniquet Training Study (PATTS): a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surg. 2019; 153: 791-799https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2018.1099
- Layperson ability and willingness to use hemostatic dressings: a randomized, controlled trial.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2019; 23: 795-801https://doi.org/10.1080/10903127.2019.1593566
Official website of the Department of Homeland Security. News release: DHS S&T and FEMA award funding for school age trauma training; 2018. Available at:https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/news/2018/11/16/news-release-funding-awarded-school-age-trauma-training. Accessed August 19, 2019.
- Tourniquet usage in prehospital care and resuscitation of pediatric trauma patients—Pediatric Trauma Society position statement.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 85: 665-667https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000001839
- Converting bystanders to immediate responders: we need to start in high school or before.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 909-910https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.2231
- Adult tourniquet for use in school-age emergencies.Pediatrics. 2019; 143: e20183447https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-3447
- Effectiveness of the combat application tourniquet for arterial occlusion in young children.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 88: 644-647
American College of Surgeons. State legislatures consider bleeding control legislation. Available at: https://www.facs.org/advocacy/surgeonsvoice/news/031519-bc. Accessed August 19, 2019.
- Pa schools train for emergencies with ‘Stop the Bleed’ program.2018 (Available at:)https://www.ems1.com/bleeding-control/articles/pa-schools-train-for-emergencies-with-stop-the-bleed-program-8v92JN4rfB6V7D9n/(Accessed August 19, 2019)
McClatchy MG. Penn. Teachers learn to stop the bleeding. 2016. Available at: https://www.emsworld.com/news/12277775/penn-teachers-learn-to-stop-the-bleeding. Accessed August 19, 2019.
- The tourniquet gap: a pilot study of the intuitive placement of three tourniquet types by laypersons.J Emerg Med. 2018; 54: 307-314https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2017.09.011
- G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Stop the Bleed Education Consortium: education program content and delivery recommendations.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 84: 205-210https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000001732
- Stop the bleeding: educating the public.JAMA. 2018; 320: 589-590https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.7301
- Just-in-time instructions for layperson tourniquet application.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 363-364https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2018.5251
- Optimizing bleeding control training for the public: a national imperative.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 799https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2018.1100
- A novel educational outreach approach to teach hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation to the public.Resuscitation. 2017; 116: 22-26https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2017.04.028
- Passive ultra-brief video training improves performance of compression-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation.Resuscitation. 2017; 115: 116-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2017.04.008
- Retention of CPR skills learned in a traditional AHA Heartsaver course versus 30-min video self-training: a controlled randomized study.Resuscitation. 2007; 74: 476-486https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2007.01.030
- Effectiveness of the American College of Surgeons Bleeding Control Basic Training among laypeople applying different tourniquet types: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 923-929https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2019.2275
Conflict of Interest: CG has a patent pending for “tourniquet and method of use.” The remaining authors have no conflicts of interest relevant to this article to disclose.