Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Immigrants in America: Key Charts and Facts.Pew Research Center, 2020 (Available at:https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic/2019/06/03/facts-on-u-s-immigrants/. Accessed June 10, 2020)
Sherman A, Trisi D, Stone C, et al. Immigrants contribute greatly to U.S. economy, despite administration's “Public Charge” rule rationale. 2019. Available at:https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-and-inequality/immigrants-contribute-greatly-to-us-economy-despite-administrations. Accessed September 17, 2020.
- Sheltering in place in a xenophobic climate: COVID-19 and children in immigrant families.Pediatrics. 2020; 146https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-1094
- Living in an Immigrant Family in America: How Fear and Toxic Stress Are Affecting Daily Life, Well-Being, & Health.The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, 2017 (Available at:https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/issue-brief/living-in-an-immigrant-family-in-america-how-fear-and-toxic-stress-are-affecting-daily-life-well-being-health. Accessed July 11, 2020)
American Immigration Council. Immigrants in the United States. American Immigration Council. Available at:https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/immigrants-in-the-united-states. Accessed June 15, 2020.
Jeanne Batalova BB, J Bolter. Migration Policy Institute. Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrant and Immigration in the United States. Migration Policy Institute. Available at:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states#Demographic,%20Educational,%20and%20Linguistic%20Characteristics. Accessed June 15, 2020.
The Annie E. Casey Foundation. Children in immigrant families KIDS COUNT data center. 2020. Available at:https://datacenter.kidscount.org. Accessed July 27, 2020.
Office of Immigration Statistics; U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Population Estimates: Illegal Alien Population Residing in the United States in January 2015. U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Available at:https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/18_1214_PLCY_pops-est-report.pdf. Accessed December 2, 2020.
- Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States.Migration Policy Institute, 2020 (Available at:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states. Accessed December 2, 2020)
- RAMESES publication standards: meta-narrative reviews.BMC Med. 2013; 11: 20https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-11-20
- Restrictive state laws aimed at immigrants: effects on enrollment in the food stamp program by U.S. citizen children in immigrant families.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0215327https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0215327
- COVID-19 and refugee and immigrant youth: a community-based mental health perspective.Psychol Trauma. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1037/tra0000875
- Barriers to healthcare among African immigrants in Georgia, USA.J Immigr Minor Health. 2018; 20: 188-193https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-017-0549-9
- The transferability of health promotion and education approaches between non-communicable diseases and communicable diseases-an analysis of evidence.AIMS Public Health. 2014; 1: 182-198https://doi.org/10.3934/publichealth.2014.4.182
- Immigration as a social determinant of health.Annu Rev Public Health. 2015; 36: 375-392https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182419
- The impact of racism on child and adolescent health.Pediatrics. 2019; 144https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-1765
- Cultural context and a critical approach to eliminating health disparities.Ethn Dis. 2010; 20: 71-76
- Culture, race, and health: implications for racial inequities and population health.Milbank Q. 2019; 97: 736-761https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0009.12411
- Caring for children in immigrant families: vulnerabilities, resilience, and opportunities.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2016; 63: 115-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2015.08.006
- Inflammation among children: evidence of an immigrant advantage?.Adv Med Sociol. 2019; 19: 275-295
- Epidemiological paradox or immigrant vulnerability? Obesity among young children of immigrants.Demography. 2015; 52: 1295-1320https://doi.org/10.1007/s13524-015-0404-3
- The "Hispanic mortality paradox" revisited: meta-analysis and meta-regression of life-course differentials in Latin American and Caribbean immigrants' mortality.Soc Sci Med. 2017; 186: 20-33https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.05.049
- Political determinants of population health.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e197063https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.7063
- Local-level immigration enforcement and food insecurity risk among Hispanic immigrant families with children: national-level evidence.J Immigr Minor Health. 2017; 19: 1042-1049https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-016-0464-5
- Association of preterm births among US Latina women with the 2016 presidential election.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e197084https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.7084
- Impacts of immigration actions and news and the psychological distress of U.S. Latino parents raising adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2018; 62: 525-531https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2018.01.004
- Association of perceived immigration policy vulnerability with mental and physical health among US-born Latino adolescents in California.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173: 744-753https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.1475
- Resiliency in the face of disadvantage: do Hispanic cultural characteristics protect health outcomes?.J Pers. 2009; 77: 1707-1746https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.2009.00598.x
- Family resilience and connection promote flourishing among US children, even amid adversity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2019; 38: 729-737https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2018.05425
- Neuroscience, molecular biology, and the childhood roots of health disparities: building a new framework for health promotion and disease prevention.JAMA. 2009; 301: 2252-2259https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.754
- Acculturative stress and mental health: implications for immigrant-origin youth.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2019; 66: 641-653https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2019.02.010
- Health disparities and children in immigrant families: a research agenda.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: S187-S195https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-1100F
- The Latina birth weight paradox: the role of subjective social status.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2018; 5: 747-757https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-017-0419-0
- Beyond the epidemiological paradox: the health of Mexican American children at age 5.Soc Sci Q. 2009; 90: 1072-1088https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6237.2009.00647.x
- Adverse childhood experiences among Hispanic children in immigrant families versus US-native families.Pediatrics. 2017; 140https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-0297
- Cultural adaptation, parenting and child mental health among English speaking Asian American immigrant families.Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2017; 48: 572-583https://doi.org/10.1007/s10578-016-0683-y
- Latino parent acculturation stress: longitudinal effects on family functioning and youth emotional and behavioral health.J Fam Psychol. 2016; 30: 966-976https://doi.org/10.1037/fam0000223
- Modifiable resilience factors to childhood adversity for clinical pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 2017; 139https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-2569
- Poverty and child health in the United States.Pediatrics. 2016; 137: e20160339https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-0339
- Screening children for social determinants of health: a systematic review.Pediatrics. 2019; 144https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-1622
- An integrative review of social determinants of health assessment and screening tools used in pediatrics.J Pediatr Nurs. 2017; 37: 22-28https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2017.08.022
- Immigrant Latino children and the limits of questionnaires in capturing adverse childhood events.Pediatrics. 2017; 140https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-2842
- Part I: a quantitative study of social risk screening acceptability in patients and caregivers.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 57: S25-S37https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.07.010
- Integrating social and medical care: could it worsen health and increase inequity?.Ann Fam Med. 2019; 17: 77-81https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2339
- Disparities in quality of healthcare of children from immigrant families in the US.Matern Child Health J. 2015; 19: 2223-2232https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-015-1740-z
Kaiser Family Foundation. Health coverage of immigrants. 2020. Available at:https://www.kff.org/racial-equity-and-health-policy/fact-sheet/health-coverage-of-immigrants/. Accessed April 10, 2020.
- Which states enroll their Medicaid-eligible, citizen children with immigrant parents?.Health Serv Res. 2013; 48: 519-538https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2012.01467.x
- Immigrant families, children with special health care needs, and the medical home.Pediatrics. 2016; 137https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-3221
- Providing care for children in immigrant families.Pediatrics. 2019; 144https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-2077
- Technical report—racial and ethnic disparities in the health and health care of children.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: e979-e1020https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2010-0188
- Measuring unmet needs for anticipatory guidance among adolescents at school-based health centers.J Adolesc Health. 2017; 60: 720-726https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.12.021
- Hispanic-Asian immigrant inequality in perceived medical need and access to regular physician care.J Immigr Minor Health. 2016; 18: 219-227https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-014-0137-1
- Providing care for immigrant, migrant, and border children.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e2028-e2034https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-1099
- CHIP and Medicaid: evolving to meet the needs of children.Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15: S19-S27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2015.02.008
- Bilingualism in the family and child well-being: a scoping review.Int J Biling. 2020; 24: 1049-1070https://doi.org/10.1177/1367006920920939
- Are language barriers associated with serious medical events in hospitalized pediatric patients?.Pediatrics. 2005; 116: 575-579https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-0521
- Developmental screening disparities for languages other than English and Spanish.Acad Pediatr. 2016; 16: 653-659https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2015.12.007
- Effects of limited English proficiency and physician language on health care comprehension.J Gen Intern Med. 2005; 20: 800-806https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.0174.x
- Satisfaction with communication in primary care for Spanish-speaking and English-speaking parents.Acad Pediatr. 2017; 17: 416-423https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2017.01.005
- The health literacy of parents in the United States: a nationally representative study.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: S289-S298https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-1162E
- The impact of medical interpreter services on the quality of health care: a systematic review.Med Care Res Rev. 2005; 62: 255-299https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558705275416
- Do professional interpreters improve clinical care for patients with limited English proficiency? A systematic review of the literature.Health Serv Res. 2007; 42: 727-754https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2006.00629.x
- Appropriate use of medical interpreters.Am Fam Physician. 2014; 90: 476-480
- The use of Spanish language skills by physicians and nurses: policy implications for teaching and testing.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 117-123https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-011-1779-5
- Changes in language services use by US pediatricians.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: e396-e406https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-2909
- Staying connected in the COVID-19 pandemic: telehealth at the largest safety-net system in the United States.Health Aff. 2020; 39: 1437-1442https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00903
- Caring for children in immigrant families: are United States pediatricians prepared?.Acad Pediatr. 2020; 20: 391-398https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2019.11.015
- Parental perceptions of culturally sensitive care and well-child visit quality.Acad Pediatr. 2020; 20: 234-240https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2019.12.007
- The medical home.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 184-186
- The relationship between continuity and patient satisfaction: a systematic review.Fam Pract. 2010; 27: 171-178https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmp099
- Integrated care models and child health: a meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 2020; 145e20183747https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-3747
- Translating developmental science to address childhood adversity.Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15: 493-502https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2015.05.010
- Practice procedures in models of primary care collaboration for children with ADHD.Fam Syst Health. 2018; 36: 73-86https://doi.org/10.1037/fsh0000314
- Maternal place of birth, socioeconomic characteristics, and child health in US-born Latinx children in Boston.Acad Pediatr. 2020; 20: 225-233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2019.09.005
Child Trends. Immigrant children—child trends. Available at:https://www.childtrends.org/indicators/immigrant-children. Accessed July 30, 2020.
- Supporting immigrant children and youth: what pediatricians and other clinicians can do.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2020; 67: 309-324https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2019.12.009
- The UCL-Lancet commission on migration and health: the health of a world on the move.Lancet. 2018; 392: 2606-2654https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32114-7
- Applying trauma-informed practices to the care of refugee and immigrant youth: 10 clinical pearls.Children (Basel). 2019; 6https://doi.org/10.3390/children6080094
- The nutrition benefits participation gap: barriers to uptake of SNAP and WIC among Latinx American immigrant families.J Community Health. 2020; 45: 488-491https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-019-00765-z
- Public program enrollment following US state Medicaid expansion and outreach.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 1349-1351https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2018.304592
- First year open enrollment findings: health insurance coverage for Asian Americans and the role of navigators.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2016; 3: 537-545https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-015-0172-1
- Challenges, coping, and resilience among immigrant parents caring for a child with a disability: an integrative review.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2019; 51: 670-679https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12522
- Child health and access to medical care.Future Child. 2015; 25: 65-90https://doi.org/10.1353/foc.2015.0003
- Caring for the Most Vulnerable a “Moral, Ethical, Medical Responsibility.Jefferson University, 2019 (Available at:https://giving.jefferson.edu/why-give/stories/latina-womens-clinic.html. Accessed August 1, 2020)
- Pediatric healthcare needs and barriers self-reported by a rural Hispanic community.Cureus. 2020; 12https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.11999
- School-based health centers and pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 387-393https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-3443
- “Hay que seguir en la lucha”: an FQHC's community health action approach to promoting Latinx immigrants’ individual and community resilience.J Behav Med. 2020; : 1-14https://doi.org/10.1080/08964289.2020.1738320
- Bridging the cardiac needs of a large, underserved immigrant and resettled refugee population.J Pediatr. 2020; 219: 83-88https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2019.12.022
- Assessment of perspectives on health care system efforts to mitigate perceived risks among immigrants in the United States: a qualitative study.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e203028https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.3028
- The case for research-informed immigrant health policies within health care systems.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e203022https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.3022
- The right location? Experiences of refugee adolescents seen by school-based mental health services.Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2016; 21: 368-380https://doi.org/10.1177/1359104516631606
- Addressing the health and mental health needs of unaccompanied immigrant youth through an innovative school-based health center model: successes and challenges.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2018; 92: 133-142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.04.016
- School readiness.Pediatrics. 2019; 144: e20191766https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-1766
- Can community and school-based supports improve the achievement of first-generation immigrant children attending high-poverty schools?.Child Dev. 2016; 87: 883-897https://doi.org/10.1111/cdev.12507
- An American Academy of Pediatrics state chapter initiative advocating for immigrant children and families.Pediatr Ann. 2020; 49: e228-e232https://doi.org/10.3928/19382359-20200422-01
- Linking science and policy through community-based participatory research to study and address health disparities.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: S81-S87https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2009.165720
- Protecting unauthorized immigrant mothers improves their children's mental health.Science. 2017; 357: 1041-1044https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aan5893
- Change in birth outcomes among infants born to Latina mothers after a major immigration raid.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 839-849https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw346
- Challenges for immigrant health in the USA-the road to crisis.Lancet. 2019; 393: 2168-2174https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)30035-2
Kaiser Family Foundation Medicaid/CHIP Coverage. Medicaid/CHIP coverage of lawfully-residing immigrant children and pregnant women. Kaiser Family Foundation. Available at:https://www.kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/medicaid-chip-coverage-of-lawfully-residing-immigrant-children-and-pregnant-women/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D. Accessed July 31, 2020.
National Immigration Law Center. Health care coverage maps. Available at:https://www.nilc.org/issues/health-care/healthcoveragemaps/. Accessed August 26, 2020.
National Immigration Forum. Fact sheet: immigrants and public benefits. National Immigration Forum. Available at:https://immigrationforum.org/article/fact-sheet-immigrants-and-public-benefits/. Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Impact of Arizona's SB 1070 immigration law on utilization of health care and public assistance among Mexican-origin adolescent mothers and their mother figures.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S28-S34https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301655
- Changes in use of county public health services following implementation of Alabama's immigration law.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2014; 25: 1844-1852https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2014.0194
- Chilling effect? Post-election health care use by undocumented and mixed-status families.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: e20https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1700829
Keisler SK, Bunch L. Health insurance coverage in the United States: 2019 United States Census Bureau. Available at: https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2020/demo/p60-271.pdf. Accessed July 31, 2020.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Public charge. 2020. Available at:https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge. Accessed September 15, 2020.
Chester A. AJ, Wagnerman K. Impact of Medicaid on children: latest research findings. Available at:https://ccf.georgetown.edu/2017/03/13/medicaid-is-a-smart-investment-in-children/. Accessed September 15, 2020.
Children's HealthWatch. Report card on food security & immigration: helping our youngest first-generation Americans to thrive. Children's HealthWatch. Available at: https://childrenshealthwatch.org/publication-snapfirstgeneration/. Accessed July 12, 2020.
- Racism and health: evidence and needed research.Annu Rev Public Health. 2019; 40: 105-125https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040218-043750
- Children and young people in immigration detention.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2012; 25: 285-292https://doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0b013e3283548676
- The psychosocial context of mental health needs of unaccompanied children in United States immigration proceedings.Grad Stud J Psychol. 2011; 13: 4-11
- Mental health implications of detaining asylum seekers: systematic review.Br J Psychiatry. 2009; 194: 306-312https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.108.053223
- Use of Royal Darwin Hospital emergency department by immigration detainees in 2011.Med J Aust. 2013; 199: 776-778https://doi.org/10.5694/mja13.10447
- Evaluating the impact of immigration policies on health status among undocumented immigrants: a systematic review.J Immigr Minor Health. 2015; 17: 947-970https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-013-9968-4
- Facing Our Future: Children in the Aftermath of Immigration Enforcement.Urban Institute, Washington, DC2020 (Available at:)Accessed February 20, 2021)
Zong JAG, Soto R, Batalova J, et al. A profile of current DACA recipients by education, industry, and occupation. Migration Policy Institute. Available at:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/research/profile-current-daca-recipients-education-industry-and-occupation. Accessed July 15, 2020.
- Considerations for residency programs regarding accepting undocumented students who are DACA recipients.Acad Med. 2017; 92: 1549-1554https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001731
AAMC Report. Complexities of physician supply and demand projections from 2018 to 2033. Available at:https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-06/stratcomm-aamc-physician-workforce-projections-june-2020.pdf. Accessed July 12, 2020.
- Trump's executive order on immigration—detrimental effects on medical training and health care.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: e39https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1701251
- The intersection of national immigration and healthcare policy.J Am Board Fam Med. 2018; 31: 163-165https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2018.01.170204
- Advocating for immigration policies that promote children's health.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2019; 66: 619-640https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2019.02.009
- A social determinants framework identifying state-level immigrant policies and their influence on health.SSM Popul Health. 2019; 7 (016–16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2018.10.016)
- Policy solutions for reversing the color-blind public health response to COVID-19 in the US.JAMA. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.10531
Migration Policy Institute. Mixed-status families ineligible for CARES Act federal pandemic stimulus checks. Available at:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/content/mixed-status-families-ineligible-pandemic-stimulus-checks. Accessed January 7, 2021.
Consolidated Appropriations Act (P.L. 116-260), H.R. 133. Available at:https://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20201221/BILLS-116HR133SA-RCP-116-68.pdf. Accessed January 5, 2021.
Kribakaran SGD. World economic forum: COVID-19 is threatening detained migrant children in the US. World Economic Forum. Available at:https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/covid-19-is-threatening-the-lives-of-migrant-children-in-us-custody/. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Immigration policy: valuing children.Acad Pediatr. 2018; 18: 723-725https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2018.06.010
- Impact of legal status change on undocumented migrants' health and well-being (Parchemins): protocol of a 4-year, prospective, mixed-methods study.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e028336https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-028336
The Urban Institute. Children of immigrants data tool. Available at:https://children-of-immigrants-explorer.urban.org/pages.cfm?p=technicalappendix. Accessed August 15, 2020.
Anwar A, Dawson-Hahn E, Jimenez M, et al. Exclusion of Families With Limited English Proficiency From Federally-funded Pediatric Trials. Pediatric Academic Societies: Academic Pediatric Association. Available at:https://plan.core-apps.com/pas2020/abstract/15b51e55c72bb23c66b248e2be8c66b9. Accessed August 14, 2020.
- Incorporating intersectionality theory into population health research methodology: challenges and the potential to advance health equity.Soc Sci Med. 2014; 110: 10-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.03.022
- Xenophobia as a determinant of health: an integrative review.J Public Health Policy. 2018; 39: 407-423https://doi.org/10.1057/s41271-018-0140-1
Boyd WR, Lindo GE, Weeks DL, et al. On racism: a new standard for publishing on racial health inequities | Health Affairs. Available at:https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20200630.939347/full/. Accessed July 2, 2020.
Wang HL. No Middle Eastern or North African category on 2020 Census, Bureau says. NPR. Available at:https://www.npr.org/2018/01/29/581541111/no-middle-eastern-or-north-african-category-on-2020-census-bureau-says. Accessed August 15, 2020.
- Should immigration status information be included in a patient's health record?.AMA J Ethics. 2019; 21: E8-16https://doi.org/10.1001/amajethics.2019.8
Center National Immigration Law. Health care providers and immigration enforcement: know your and your patients' rights National Immigration Law Center. Available at:https://www.nilc.org/issues/immigration-enforcement/healthcare-provider-and-patients-rights-imm-enf/. Accessed August 6, 2020.
- Mitigating the health consequences for youth in families affected by immigration policy changes: opportunities for health care professionals and health systems.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.1469
- Challenges in identifying refugees in national health data sets.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 1231-1232https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303201
National Immigration Law Center (NILC). Health care coverage maps. National Immigration Law Center (NILC). Available at:https://www.nilc.org/issues/health-care/healthcoveragemaps/. Accessed August 26, 2020.
National Institutes of Health. What is a certificate of confidentiality? NIH central resource for grants and funding information. Available at:https://grants.nih.gov/policy/humansubjects/coc/what-is.htm. Accessed December 7, 2020.
- Risk of psychiatric diagnoses in children and adolescents of parents with torture trauma and war trauma.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1111/acps.13203
Add Health. The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health (Add Health). Available at: https://addhealth.cpc.unc.edu. Accessed December 7, 2020.
- The Hispanic Community Children's Health Study/Study of Latino Youth (SOL Youth): design, objectives, and procedures.Ann Epidemiol. 2014; 24: 29-35https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2013.08.008
- Depressive symptoms during adolescence and young adulthood and the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Am J Epidemiol. 2016; 183: 269-276https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwv149
- Painful passages: traumatic experiences and post-traumatic stress among immigrant Latino adolescents and their primary caregivers.Int Migr Rev. 2013; 47https://doi.org/10.1111/imre.12050
- The role of migration in the development of depressive symptoms among Latino immigrant parents in the USA.Soc Sci Med. 2011; 73: 1169-1177https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.07.002
- Integrating social epidemiology into immigrant health research: a cross-national framework.Soc Sci Med. 2012; 75: 2060-2068https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.04.040
- Meaningful engagement in research: community residents as co-creators of knowledge.Am J Community Psychol. 2020; 65: 261-271https://doi.org/10.1002/ajcp.12414
Haley JM, Kenney GM, Bernstein H, et al. One in five adults in immigrant families with children reported chilling effects on public benefit receipt in 2019. 2019. Available at:https://www.urban.org/research/publication/one-five-adults-immigrant-families-children-reported-chilling-effects-public-benefit-receipt-2019. Accessed August 15, 2020
- The use of community engaged research principles to improve health: community academic partnerships for research.P R Health Sci J. 2017; 36: 84-85
- Principles of Community Engagement.2nd ed. 2011 (Available at: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/communityengagement/pdf/PCE_Report_508_FINAL.pdf. Accessed August 15, 2020)
- Implementing community-based participatory research with communities affected by humanitarian crises: the potential to recalibrate equity and power in vulnerable contexts.Am J Community Psychol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1002/ajcp.12453
- Recruitment of new immigrants into a randomized controlled prevention trial: the live well experience.J Prim Prev. 2018; 39: 453-468https://doi.org/10.1007/s10935-018-0519-6
- Enriched medical home intervention using community health worker home visitation and ED use.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20161849https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-1849
- Evidence-based community health worker program addresses unmet social needs and generates positive return on investment.Health Aff. 2020; 39: 207-213https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.00981
FrameWorks Institute. Equity. Available at: https://www.frameworksinstitute.org/issues/equity/. Accessed August 26, 2020.
- Gender, race/ethnicity, and National Institutes of Health R01 research awards: is there evidence of a double bind for women of color?.Acad Med. 2016; 91: 1098-1107https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001278
- Topic choice contributes to the lower rate of NIH awards to African-American/black scientists.Sci Adv. 2019; 5: eaaw7238https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aaw7238
- The Hispanic/Latinx perinatal paradox in the United States: a scoping review and recommendations to guide future research.J Immigr Minor Health. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-020-01117-z
- Challenges with quality of race and ethnicity data in observational databases.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2019; 26: 730-736https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocz113
- Toward a fourth generation of disparities research to achieve health equity.Annu Rev Public Health. 2011; 32: 399-416https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031210-101136
- New directions for foundations in health equity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1536-1540https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.0256
National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities. NIMHD research framework. 2017. Available at: https://www.nimhd.nih.gov/about/overview/research-framework/nimhd-framework.html. Accessed December 2, 2020.
- The Principles of Community Engagement Second Edition.2011 (Available at:https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/communityengagement/pdf/PCE_Report_508_FINAL.pdf. Accessed February 20, 2021)
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.