Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Leading causes of death reports, 1981–2019. Available at: https://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcause.html. Accessed February 17, 2021.
- Recent increases in injury mortality among children and adolescents aged 10-19 years in the United States: 1999-2016.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2018; 67: 1-16
- The epidemiology of case fatality rates for suicide in the Northeast.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43: 723-730
- Lethality of firearms relative to other suicide methods: a population based study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2003; 57: 120-124
- The presence and accessibility of firearms in the homes of adolescent suicides. A case-control study.JAMA. 1991; 266: 2989-2995
- Firearms and adolescent suicide. A community case-control study.Am J Dis Child. 1993; 147: 1066-1071
- Adolescent suicide and household access to firearms in Colorado: results of a case-control study.J Adolesc Health. 2000; 26: 157-163
- Gun storage practices and risk of youth suicide and unintentional firearm injuries.JAMA. 2005; 293: 707-714
- Safer storage of firearms at home and risk of suicide: a study of protective factors in a nationally representative sample.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2004; 58: 841-848
- Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 467-472
- Firearm storage practices in households of adolescents with and without mental illness.J Adolesc Health. 2017; 61: 583-590
- Firearm storage in homes with children with self-harm risk factors.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20172600
- Psychiatric comorbidity, suicidality, and in-home firearm access among a nationally representative sample of adolescents.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 152-159
- Lethal means counseling for parents of youth seeking emergency care for suicidality.West J Emerg Med. 2016; 17: 8-14
- Suicide and violence prevention: parent education in the emergency department.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999; 38: 250-255
- Effectiveness of interventions to promote safe firearm storage.Epidemiol Rev. 2016; 38: 111-124
- Evaluation of a community-based safe firearm and ammunition storage intervention.Inj Prev. 2018; 24: 218-223
- Changes in firearm and medication storage practices in homes of youths at risk for suicide: results of the SAFETY study, a clustered, emergency department-based, multisite, stepped-wedge trial.Ann Emerg Med. 2020; 76: 194-205
- Predicting and Changing Behavior: The Reasoned Action Approach.Taylor & Francis, 2010
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Health outcomes associated with emergency department visits by adolescents for self-harm: a propensity-matched cohort study.CMAJ. 2019; 191: E1207-E1216
- Repetition of self-harm and suicide following self-harm in children and adolescents: findings from the Multicentre Study of Self-harm in England.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2012; 53: 1212-1219
- Suicide rates after discharge from psychiatric facilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74: 694-702
- Childhood firearm injuries in the United States.Pediatrics. 2017; 140e20163486
- The duration of the suicidal process: how much time is left for intervention between consideration and accomplishment of a suicide attempt?.J Clin Psychiatry. 2009; 70: 19-24
- New data on the nature of suicidal crises in college students: shifting the paradigm.Prof Psychol Res Pract. 2009; 40: 213-222
- Reducing a suicidal person's access to lethal means of suicide: a research agenda.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: s264-s272
- Lessons learned in conducting youth suicide prevention research in emergency departments.Inj Prev. 2020; 26: 159-163
- Counseling on access to lethal means.2020 (Available at:)https://training.sprc.org/enrol/index.php?id=20Date accessed: September 11, 2020
Initiative 1639: frequently asked questions. Washington State Office of the Attorney General website. Available at: https://www.atg.wa.gov/initiative-1639#6%20secure%20storage. Accessed March 2, 2020.
The authors have no conflicts of interest relevant to this article to disclose.