Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Key Capabilities of an Electronic Health Record System: Letter Report.2003 (Available at: https://www.nap.edu/catalog/10781/key-capabilities-of-an-electronic-health-record-system-letter-report. Accessed October 30, 2018)
The Joint Commission. Documentation Assistance Provided By Scribes. Available at: https://www.jointcommission.org/standards/standard-faqs/hospital-and-hospital-clinics/record-of-care-treatment-and-services-rc/000002210/#:~:text=The%20Joint%20Commission%20has%20previously%20defined%20scribes%20as,previous%20definition%20is%20no%20longer%20valid%20or%20appropriate. Accessed April 16, 2020.
- Relationship between clerical burden and characteristics of the electronic environment with physician burnout and professional satisfaction.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 836-848https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2016.05.007
- Electronic health record effects on work-life balance and burnout within the I.J Grad Med Educ. 2017; 9: 479-484https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-16-00123.1
- Time motion analysis: impact of scribes on provider time management.J Emerg Med. 2018; 55: 135-140https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2018.04.018
- Impact of scribes on billed relative value units in an academic emergency department.J Emerg Med. 2017; 52: 370-376https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2016.11.017
- Impact of scribes on physician satisfaction, patient satisfaction, and charting efficiency: a randomized controlled trial.Ann Fam Med. 2017; 15: 427-433https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2122
- Association of medical scribes in primary care with physician workflow and patient experience.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 1467-1472
- Use of scribes for documentation assistance in rheumatology and endocrinology clinics: impact on clinic workflow and patient and physician satisfaction.J Clin Rheumatol. 2018; 24: 116-121https://doi.org/10.1097/RHU.0000000000000620
- Impact of a medical scribe program on outpatient pediatric gastroenterology clinic.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2020; 72: 220-225
- Medical scribe impact on patient and provider experience.Mil Med. 2019; 184: 388-393https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usz030
- The impact of medical scribes on relative value units in a pediatric primary care practice.Acad Pediatr. 2021; 21: 542-547https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2020.05.009
- EHR overtime: an analysis of time spent after hours by family physicians.Fam Med. 2020; 52: 135-137https://doi.org/10.22454/FamMed.2020.942762
- Tethered to the EHR: primary care physician workload assessment using EHR event log data and time-motion observations.Ann Fam Med. 2017; 15: 419-426https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2121
- The use of medical scribes in health care settings: a systematic review and future directions.J Am Board Fam Med. 2015; 28: 371-381https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2015.03.140224
- Can scribes boost FPs' efficiency and job satisfaction?.J Fam Pract. 2017; 66: 206-214
- Effect of scribes on patient throughput, revenue, and patient and provider satisfaction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Emerg Med. 2016; 34: 2018-2028https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2016.07.056
- Impact of scribes on emergency department patient throughput one year after implementation.Am J Emerg Med. 2017; 35: 311-314https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2016.11.017
- Impact of medical scribes on provider efficiency in the pediatric emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 2018; 19: 174-182
- Impact of medical scribes in primary care on productivity, face-to-face time, and patient comfort.J Am Board Fam Med. 2018; 31: 612-619https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2018.04.170325
- Good documentation.JAMA. 2018; 320: 875-876https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.11781
- Virtual scribe services decrease documentation burden without affecting patient satisfaction: a randomized controlled trial.Foot Ankle Spec. 2020; (1938640020950544)https://doi.org/10.1177/1938640020950544
- Virtual scribing within otolaryngology during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.Am J Otolaryngol. 2020; 41102611https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjoto.2020.102611
- Do you know what your scribe did last spring? The impact of COVID-19 on medical scribe workflow.Appl Clin Inform. 2020; 11: 807-811https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0040-1721396
- Physician stress and burnout: the impact of health information technology.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2019; 26: 106-114https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocy145
- The influence of electronic health record use on physician burnout: cross-sectional survey.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e19274https://doi.org/10.2196/19274
- Medical scribes in emergency medicine produce financially significant productivity gains for some, but not all emergency physicians.Emerg Med Australas. 2016; 28: 262-267https://doi.org/10.1111/1742-6723.12562
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.