Background and Objective
Abbreviations:CMC (Children with medical complexity), HRQL (Health related quality of life), P-PAM (Parent Patient Activation Measure), PGH (Pediatric Global Health), ED (Emergency department), TIDieR (Template for Intervention Description and Replication)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Berry BJG, Hall M, Neff J, et al. Children With Medical Complexity And Medicaid: Spending And Cost Savings.:2199-2206.
- Profile of Medical Charges for Children by Health Status Group and Severity Level in a Washington State Health Plan.Health Services Research. 2004; 39: 73-89https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2004.00216.x
- Patterns and Costs of Health Care Use of Children With Medical Complexity.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e1463-e1470https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-0175
- Variation in Child Health Care Utilization by Medical Complexity.Maternal and Child Health Journal. Published online. 2014; : 40-48https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-014-1493-0
- Children with complex chronic conditions in inpatient hospital settings in the United States.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 647-655https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-3266
- Financial and social hardships in families of children with medical complexity.Journal of Pediatrics. 2016; 172 (e1): 187-193https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2016.01.049
- Financial burden of raising CSHCN: association with state policy choices.Pediatrics. 2009; 124 (Suppl): S435-S442https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-1255P
- Survey of financial burden of families in the U.S. with children using home mechanical ventilation.Pediatric Pulmonology. 2018; 53: 108-116https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.23917
- Employment, child care, and mental health of mothers caring for children assisted by technology.Pediatrics. 1999; 103 (Pt 1): 1235-1242
- Family Caregivers of Children With Medical Complexity: Health-Related Quality of Life and Experiences of Care Coordination.Academic Pediatrics. 2020; 20: 1116-1123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2020.06.014
- Social Work Services Utilization by Children with Medical Complexity.Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2015; 19: 2707-2713https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-015-1795-x
- Preventing Hospitalizations in Children With Medical Complexity: A Systematic Review.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e1628-e1647https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-1956
- How Avoidable are Hospitalizations for Children With Medical Complexity?.Academic Pediatrics. 2016; 16 (Understanding Parent Perspectives): 579-586https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2016.04.009
- Predicting Low Resource Intensity Emergency Department Visits in Children.Academic Pediatrics. 2018; 2018 (ePub ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2017.12.012
- Hospital utilization and characteristics of patients experiencing recurrent readmissions within children's hospitals.JAMA: the journal of the American Medical Association. 2011; 305: 682-690https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.122
- Health coaching: teaching patients to fish.Fam Pract Manag. 2013; 20: 40-42
- What the evidence shows about patient activation: Better health outcomes and care experiences; fewer data on costs.Health Affairs. 2013; 32: 207-214https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2012.1061
- Role of Health Coaches in Pediatric Weight Management.Clinical Pediatrics. 2017; 56: 162-170https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922816645515
- Pragmatic Replication Trial of Health Promotion Coaching for Obesity in Serious Mental Illness and Maintenance of Outcomes.American Journal of Psychiatry. 2015; 172: 344-352https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2014.14030357
- Health coaching by medical assistants improves patients’ chronic care experience.Am J Manag Care. 2015; 21: 685-691
- Impact of Peer Health Coaching on Glycemic Control in Low-Income Patients With Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial.The Annals of Family Medicine. 2013; 11: 137-144https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1443
- Does health coaching change patients’ trust in their primary care provider?.Patient Education and Counseling. 2014; 96: 135-138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2014.03.018
- Health Coaching by Medical Assistants to Improve Control of Diabetes, Hypertension, and Hyperlipidemia in Low-Income Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial.The Annals of Family Medicine. 2015; 13: 130-138https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1768
- A Parent Coach Model for Well-Child Care Among Low-Income Children: A Randomized Controlled Trial.PEDIATRICS. 2016; 137 (e20153013-e20153013)https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-3013
Insignia Health. Patient Activation Measure. Accessed March 22, 2021. https://www.insigniahealth.com/products/pam-survey
- Development of the PROMIS® pediatric global health (PGH-7) measure.Quality of Life Research. 2014; 23: 1221-1231https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-013-0581-8
- Guidance for Conducting the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) 5.0H Child Survey.Technical Assistance Brief. 2018; (Published 2012. Accessed April 25)
- Pediatric complex chronic conditions classification system\nversion 2: updated for ICD-10 and complex medical technology\ndependence and transplantation.BMC Pediatr. 2014; 14: 199
- Effectiveness of a comprehensive case management service for children with medical complexity.Pediatrics. 2017; 140https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-1641
- Better reporting of interventions: template for intervention description and replication (TIDieR) checklist and guide.BMJ. 2014; 348: g1687https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g1687
- Protocol for a randomized controlled trial evaluating the impact of the Nurse-Family Partnership's home visiting program in South Carolina on maternal and child health outcomes.Trials. 2020 Dec 4; 21: 997https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-020-04916-9
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Table of Contents Summary: Health coaching for parents of children with medical complexity did not increase parental activation or most markers of utilization but may have decreased ED use.
What's Known on This Subject: Health coaching in ambulatory care has been associated with improved outcomes in adult care settings. Adult patient activation is associated with better chronic disease management. Parents of children with medical complexity can struggle with managing their children's many care needs.