Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Pediatrics
- The utility and challenges of using ICD codes in child maltreatment research: a review of existing literature.Child Abuse Negl. 2009; 33: 791-808https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2009.08.005
- Using International Classification of Diseases, 10th edition, codes to estimate abusive head trauma in children.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 215-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2012.04.028
- Child maltreatment surveillance following the ICD-10-CM transition, 2016-2018.Inj Prev. 2021; 27: 251-256https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2019-043579
- Incidence of fractures attributable to abuse in young hospitalized children: results from analysis of a United States database.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: 599-604https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-1959
- Evaluation for occult fractures in injured children.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 232-240https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-3977
- Local macroeconomic trends and hospital admissions for child abuse, 2000–2009.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e358-e364https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-3755
- Emergency visits and hospitalizations for child abuse during the COVID-19 pandemic.Pediatrics. 2021; 147e2020038489https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-038489
- Identification of child maltreatment-related emergency department visits in Connecticut, 2011 to 2014.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2019; 58: 970-976https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922819845895
- What's new in ICD-10-CM in classifying child maltreatment?.Child Abuse Negl. 2011; 35: 655-657https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2011.04.002
- Trends in the use of administrative codes for physical abuse hospitalizations.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 174: 91https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.3992
- Identifying targets to improve coding of child physical abuse at a pediatric trauma center.J Trauma Nurs. 2019; 26: 239-242https://doi.org/10.1097/JTN.0000000000000461
- Assessing the accuracy of the International Classification of Diseases codes to identify abusive head trauma: a feasibility study.Inj Prev. 2015; 21: e133-e137https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2013-040924
- The accuracy of ICD codes: identifying physical abuse in 4 children's hospitals.Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15: 444-450https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2015.01.008
- Identification of ICD codes suggestive of child maltreatment.Child Abuse & Neglect. 2011; 35: 3-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2010.06.008
- Sensitivity of hospitals’ E-coded data in identifying causes of children's violence-related injuries.Public Health Rep. 1995; 110: 277-281
- Identification of physical abuse cases in hospitalized children: accuracy of International Classification of Diseases codes.J Pediatr. 2013; 162: 80-85https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.06.037
- Using hospital discharge data to track inflicted traumatic brain injury.Am J Preven Med. 2008; 34: S157-S162https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2007.12.021
- Bright Futures: Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents.4th ed. American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, Il2017
Child Maltreatment 2019. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Administration on Children, Youth and Families, Children's Bureau; 2021. Available at:https://www.acf.hhs.gov/cb/research-data-technology/statistics-research/child-maltreatment. Accessed December 17, 2020.
- Child Abuse and Neglect Fatalities 2017: Statistics and Interventions.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Children's Bureau, 2019
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Informat. 2019; 95103208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2019.103208
- Variability in expert assessments of child physical abuse likelihood.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e945-e953https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-2485
- Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions.3rd ed. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ2003
- RStudio: Integrated Development for R. RStudio.PBC, Boston, MA2020
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 14.StataCorp LP, College Station, TX2015
- Accuracy of ICD-10-CM coding for physical child abuse in a paediatric level I trauma centre.Inj Prev. 2021; 27: i71-i74https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2019-043513
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.