Abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), EHR (Electronic health record), LASSO (Least absolute shrinkage and selection operator), MICE (Multiple imputation by chained equations)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Pediatrics
- Breastfeeding in the 21st century: epidemiology, mechanisms, and lifelong effect.Lancet. 2016; 387: 475-490https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01024-7
- Analyzing factors that impact breastfeeding duration in the postpartum period: a secondary analysis of PRAMS data.Breastfeed Med. 2018; 13: 335-340https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2018.0020
- Factors in the hospital experience associated with postpartum breastfeeding success.Breastfeed Med. 2019; 14: 334-341https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2018.0039
- Skin-to-skin contact in cesarean birth and duration of breastfeeding: a cohort study.Scient World J. 2017; 20171940756https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1940756
- Implementation Guidance: Protecting, Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding in Facilities Providing Maternity and Newborn Services: the Revised Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative.World Health Organization, Geneva2018
- Protecting, Promoting and Supporting Breast-feeding: the Special Role of Maternity Services.World Health Organization, Geneva1989
The ten steps to successful breastfeeding. Baby-Friendly USA Web site. Available at: https://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/for-facilities/practice-guidelines/10-steps-and-international-code/. Accessed January 3, 2022.
- Timing of initiation, patterns of breastfeeding, and infant survival: prospective analysis of pooled data from three randomised trials.Lancet Glob Health. 2016; 4: e266-e275
- Delayed breastfeeding initiation increases risk of neonatal mortality.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: e380-e386https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-1496
- Breast-feeding patterns, time to initiation, and mortality risk among newborns in southern Nepal.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 599-603https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/138.3.599
- Breastfeeding during the first hour of life and neonatal mortality.J Pediatr (Rio J). 2013; 89: 131-136https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jped.2013.03.005
- Timing of breastfeeding initiation and exclusivity of breastfeeding during the first month of life: effects on neonatal mortality and morbidity – a systematic review and meta-analysis.Matern Child Health J. 2015; 19: 468-479https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-014-1526-8
- Early skin-to-skin contact for mothers and their healthy newborn infants.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 11CD003519https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003519.pub4
- Fetal physiology and the transition to extrauterine life.Clin Perinatol. 2016; 43: 395-407
- Enhancing the use of EHR systems for pragmatic embedded research: lessons from the NIH Health Care Systems Research Collaboratory.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2021; 28: 2626-2640https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocab202
- The reliability of electronic health record data used for obstetrical research.Appl Clin Inform. 2018; 9: 156-162https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1627475
- “Smart Forms” in an electronic medical record: documentation-based clinical decision support to improve disease management.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008; 15: 513-523https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M2501
- Early feeding behaviors and breastfeeding outcomes after cesarean section.Breastfeed Med. 2019; 14: 325-333https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2018.0150
- Association between breastfeeding support and breastfeeding rates in the UK: a comparison of late preterm and term infants.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e009144https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-009144
- Exclusive breastfeeding in hospital predicts longer breastfeeding duration in Canada: implications for health equity.Birth. 2018; 45: 440-449https://doi.org/10.1111/birt.12345
- Phototherapy for the treatment of neonatal jaundice and breastfeeding duration and exclusivity.Breastfeed Med. 2016; 11: 180-185
- Impact of maternal obesity and breastfeeding intention on lactation intensity and duration.Matern Child Nutr. 2019; 15: e12732https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12732
- Validation of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale against both DSM-5 and ICD-10 diagnostic criteria for depression.BMC Psychiatry. 2018; 18: 393https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-018-1965-7
- The relationship between infant-feeding outcomes and postpartum depression: a qualitative systematic review.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: e736-e751https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-1629
- Parity and the association between maternal sociodemographic characteristics and breastfeeding.Breastfeed Med. 2020; 15: 443-452
- Does postpartum length of stay affect breastfeeding duration? A population-based study.Birth. 2003; 30: 153-159
- Racial and ethnic differences in breastfeeding.Pediatrics. 2016; 138e20152388https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-2388
- Reasons for early cessation of breastfeeding among women with low income.Breastfeed Med. 2019; 14: 375-381https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2018.0206
- Regression shrinkage and selection via the lasso: a retrospective.J R Stat Soc Series B. 2011; 73: 273-282
- Multiple imputation by chained equations: what is it and how does it work?.Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2011; 20: 40-49
- Transition from fetus to newborn.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2015; 62: 329-343
- Births: final data for 2019.National Vital Statistics Reports. 2021; 70 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. March 23, 2021. Available at:) (Accessed January 3, 2022)
- The cost of not breastfeeding: global results from a new tool.Health Policy Plan. 2019; 34: 407-417https://doi.org/10.1093/heapol/czz050
Electronic clinical quality measures basics. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Web site. December 14, 2020. Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms/ClinicalQualityMeasures. Accessed January 3, 2022.
- Breastfeeding trends by race/ethnicity among US children born from 2009 to 2015.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173e193319https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.3319
- Racial and ethnic disparities in breastfeeding initiation – United States, 2019.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; 70: 769-774https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7021a1
- Effect of early breast milk expression on milk volume and timing of lactogenesis stage II among mothers of very low birth weight infants: a pilot study.J Perinatol. 2012; 32: 205-209https://doi.org/10.1038/jp.2011.78
- Intention or experience? Predictors of continued breastfeeding.Health Educ Behav. 2005; 32: 208-226https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198104271971
- Factors associated with breastfeeding initiation and continuation: a meta-analysis.J Pediatr. 2018; 203: 190-196.e21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.08.008
Practice guidelines: the guidelines and evaluation criteria. Baby-Friendly USA Web site. Available at: https://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/for-facilities/practice-guidelines/. Accessed January 8, 2022.
Conflict of Interest: The authors have indicated that they have no potential conflicts of interests to disclose.