Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pediatric readmission prevalence and variability across hospitals.JAMA. 2013; 309: 372-380https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.188351
- Timing and causes of common pediatric readmissions.J Pediatr. 2018; 200: 240-248https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.04.044
- Hospital utilization and characteristics of patients experiencing recurrent readmissions within children's hospitals.JAMA. 2011; 305: 682-690https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.122
- Measuring hospital quality using pediatric readmission and revisit rates.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 429-436https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-3527
- How well can hospital readmission be predicted in a cohort of hospitalized children? A retrospective, multicenter study.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: 286-293https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-3395
- Trends in pediatric hospitalizations and readmissions: 2010–2016.Pediatrics. 2019; 143e20181958https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-1958
- Advancing children's health care and outcomes through the pediatric quality measures program.Acad Pediatr. 2014; 14: S19-S26https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2014.06.025
- The children's health insurance program reauthorization act quality measures initiatives: Moving forward to improve measurement, care, and child and adolescent outcomes.Acad Pediatr. 2011; 11: S1-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2011.02.009
CHIPRA Measures by CHIPRA Categories. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Rockville, MD. Accessed December 20, 2021. http://www.ahrq.gov/policymakers/chipra/pqmpmeasures.html#note6; 2012.
Reducing Medicaid Readmissions in Illinois: Moving Forward Together. Naperville, IL: The Institute for Innovations in Care and Quality. Accessed December 20, 2021. http://www.ihatoday.org/uploadDocs/1/reducingmedicaidreadmissions4-9-15.pdf; 2015.
- Delivery System Integration.in: Yong P Saunders R Olsen L The Healthcare Imperative: Lowering Costs and Improving Outcomes: Workshop Series Summary. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2010
Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP): Measure Specification and Reporting Manual. New York State Department of Health Medicaid Redesign Team. Accessed December 20, 2021. https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/redesign/dsrip/2016/docs/2016-07-25_measure_specific_rpting_manual.pdf; 2016.
- A new era in quality measurement: The development and application of quality measures.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20163442https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-3442
Boutwell A, Jencks S, Nielsen GA, et al. STate Action on Avoidable Rehospitalizations (STAAR) Initiative. Cambridge, MA.. Accessed December 20, 2021. http://www.ihi.org/engage/initiatives/completed/STAAR/Documents/STAARStateBasedStrategy.pdf; 2009.
Children's Hospitals’ Solutions for Patient Safety Network (SPS Network) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Rockville, MD. Accessed April 20, 2022. https://www.ahrq.gov/workingforquality/priorities-in-action/sps-network.html; 2017.
- A quality improvement collaborative to improve the discharge process for hospitalized children.Pediatrics. 2016; 138e20143604https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-3604
- Variation in condition-specific readmission rates across US children's hospitals.Acad Pediatr. 2022; 22: 797-805https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2022.01.007
- Observation encounters and length of stay benchmarking in children's hospitals.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e20200120https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-0120
- Resource utilization for observation-status stays at children's hospitals.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 1050-1058https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-2494
- Hospital observation status and readmission rates.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e202003954https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-003954
Readmissions. Boston Children's Hospital. Accessed October 20, 2021. http://www.childrenshospital.org/research-and-innovation/research/centers/center-of-excellence-for-pediatric-quality-measurement-cepqm/cepqm-measures/pediatric-readmissions; 2016
Center of Excellence for Pediatric Quality Measurement. Readmissions. Accessed September 20, 2021. www.childrenshospital.org/research-and-innovation/research/centers/center-of-excellence-for-pediatric-quality-measurement-cepqm/cepqm-measures/pediatric-readmissions.
National Quality Forum. Pediatric all-condition readmission measure. Accessed September 20, 2021. www.qualityforum.org/QPS/MeasureDetails.aspx?standardID=2393&print=0&entityTypeID=1.
- Pediatric complex chronic conditions classification system version 2: updated for ICD-10 and complex medical technology dependence and transplantation.BMC Pediatr. 2014; 14: 199https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2431-14-199
Chronic Condition Indicator (CCI) for ICD-10-CM. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Rockville, MD. Accessed September 20, 2021. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/chronic_icd10/chronic_icd10.jsp; 2020.
Disparity Methods Confidential Reporting Hospital-Specific Reports. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Baltimore, MD. Accessed on December 20, 2021. https://qualitynet.cms.gov/inpatient/measures/disparity-methods/reports; 2021.
Public Reporting User Guide for the Hospital-Specific Reports on Outcome Payment, and CMS Patient Safety Indicator Measures. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Baltimore, MD; Accessed December 20, 2021. https://qualitynet.cms.gov/files/609165382d69df00226c90cd?filename=Jul2021_PR_Public_Reporting_HUG.pdf; 2021.
- Improving discharge efficiency in medically complex pediatric patients.Pediatrics. 2016; 138e20153832https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-3832
- Reducing pediatric readmissions: using a discharge bundle combined with teach-back methodology.J Nurs Care Qual. 2016; 31: 224-232https://doi.org/10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000176
- Effect of a pediatric prescription medication discharge program on reducing hospital readmission rates.J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther. 2017; 22: 94-101https://doi.org/10.5863/1551-6776-22.2.94
- Discharge handoff communication and pediatric readmissions.J Hosp Med. 2017; 12: 29-35https://doi.org/10.1002/jhm.2670
- Nationwide readmissions after tonsillectomy among pediatric patients - United States.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2018; 107: 10-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2018.01.026
- Revisit rates and diagnoses following pediatric tonsillectomy in a large multistate population.Laryngoscope. 2015; 125: 457-461https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.24783
- AHRQ Pub. No. 14(16)-P008-3-EF.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2014 (Accessed on April 22, 2022)
- Limits of readmission rates in measuring hospital quality suggest the need for added metrics.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 1083-1091https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2012.0518
- Reliability of hospital readmission rates in vascular surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2014; 59: 1638-1643https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2013.12.040
- Reliability of 30-day readmission measures used in the Hospital Readmission Reduction Program.Health Serv Res. 2016; 5196: 2095-2114https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12587
- Reliability of readmission rates as a hospital quality measure in cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2014; 97: 1214-1218https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.11.048
- Association of social determinants with children's hospitals’ preventable readmissions performance.JAMA Pediatr. 2016; 170: 350-358https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.4440
- Performance of pediatric readmission measures.J Hosp Med. 2020; 15: 723-726https://doi.org/10.12788/jhm.3521
- Children's hospital characteristics and readmission metrics.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20161720https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-1720
- Hospitalizations of low-income children and children with severe health conditions: implications of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.JAMA Pediatr. 2016; 170: 176-178https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.3366
- Medicaid and children's hospitals—a vital but strained double helix for children's health care.JAMA Pediatr. 2016; 170: 1043-1045https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2016.2328
- Rates and impact of potentially preventable readmissions at children's hospitals.J Pediatr. 2015; 166: 613-619.e5https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2014.10.052
- Progress (?) toward reducing pediatric readmissions.J Hosp Med. 2019; 14: 618-621https://doi.org/10.12788/jhm.3210
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.