Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Pediatrics
AAP, AACAP. CHA declare national emergency in children’s mental health. Pediatr News. 2021. Available at: https://publications-aap-org.ezproxy.med.cornell.edu/aapnews/news/17718. Accessed February 15, 2023.
The U.S. Surgeon General’s Advisory. Protecting youth’s mental health: the U.S. surgeon general’s report. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General; 2021:34982518
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Web-based injury statistics query and reporting system (WISQARS) 2021. Available at: https://wisqars.cdc.gov/data/lcd/home, Accessed January 15, 2023.
- Suicide ideation and attempts in a pediatric emergency department before and during COVID-19.Pediatrics. 2021; 147e2020029280https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-029280
- Suicide risk in adolescents during the COVID-19 pandemic.Pediatrics. 2022; 149e2021053486https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2021-053486
Gorzkowski J, Calabrese T, Lau M, et al. Blueprint for youth suicide prevention. American Academy of Pediatrics. Available at:https://www.aap.org/en/patient-care/blueprint-for-youth-suicide-prevention/, Accessed December 22, 2022.
- Health care contacts in the year before suicide death.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 870-877
- ED-SAFE-Can suicide risk screening and brief intervention initiated in the emergency department save lives?.JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74: 555-556
- Validation and feasibility of the ASQ among pediatric medical and surgical inpatients.Hosp Pediatr. 2020; 10: 750-757
- Integrating suicide risk screening into pediatric ambulatory subspecialty care.Pediatr Qual Saf. 2020; 5: e310
- Implementing suicide risk screening in a pediatric primary care setting: from research to practice.Acad Pediatr. 2022; 22: 217-226
- Adolescent patients–healthy or hurting? Missed opportunities to screen for suicide risk in the primary care setting.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000; 154: 162-168
- Competency of future pediatricians caring for children with behavioral and mental health problems.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e20192884https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-2884
- Preparedness of pediatric subspecialty fellows to address emotional and mental health needs among children with chronic medical conditions.JAMA Pediatr. 2022; 176: 1266-1268
- COMMITTEE ON ADOLESCENCE. Suicide and suicide attempts in adolescents.Pediatrics. 2016; 138e20161420https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-1420
- Comparison of performance on ADHD quality of care indicators: practitioner self-report versus chart review.J Atten Disord. 2016; 24: 1457-1461
American Board of Pediatrics. Latest race and ethnicity data for pediatricians and pediatric trainees. Estimating the race and ethncity of pediatric trainees and certified pediatricians: an interim report based on data collected from 2018-2021. Available at: https://www.abp.org/node/1159/printable/print, Accessed January 15, 2023. .
- Validation of the ask suicide-screening questions (ASQ) with youth in outpatient specialty and primary care clinics.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2021; 68: 52-58
- Universal pediatric suicide risk screening in a health care system: 90,000 patient encounters.J Acad Consult Liaison Psychiatry. 2021; 62: 421-429
- Screening pediatric medical patients for suicide risk: Is depression screening enough?.J Adolesc Health. 2021; 68: 1183-1188
- Guidelines for adolescent depression in primary care (GLAD-PC): I. identification, assessment, and initial management.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: e1299-e1312
AAP Research. 56% of pediatricians say they can complete recommended screenings. AAP News, September 1, 2020.
- Identifying adolescent suicide risk via depression screening in pediatric primary care: an electronic health record review.Psychiatr Serv. 2021; 72: 163-168
- Standardized screening for suicidal adolescents in primary care.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 938-944
- Parent and adolescent thoughts about suicide risk screening in pediatric outpatient settings.Arch Suicide Res. 2022; 26: 1173-1185
- Evaluating iatrogenic risk of youth suicide screening programs: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2005; 293: 1635-1643
- Does asking about suicide and related behaviours induce suicidal ideation? What is the evidence?.Psychol Med. 2014; 44: 3361-3363
- Changes in firearm and medication storage practices in homes of youths at risk for suicide: results of the SAFETY study, a clustered, emergency department-based, multisite, stepped-wedge trial.Ann Emerg Med. 2020; 76: 194-205
- Suicide prevention in an emergency department population: the ED-SAFE study.JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74: 563-570
- Comparison of the safety planning intervention with follow-up vs usual care of suicidal patients treated in the emergency department.JAMA Psychiatry. 2018; 75: 894-900
- Association of youth suicides and county-level mental health professional shortage areas in the US.JAMA Pediatr. 2023; 177: 71-80
- Pediatric mental health presentations and boarding: first year of the COVID-19 pandemic.Hosp Pediatr. 2022; 12: 751-760
- Mental health service use before and after a suicidal crisis among children and adolescents in a United States National Medicaid Sample.Acad Pediatr. 2021; 21: 1171-1178
- Trends in use of electronic health records in Pediatric Office Settings.J Pediatr. 2019; 206: 164-171.e162
AAP Research. 100th Periodic Survey compares pediatricians’ concerns in 1987 with 2018. AAP News: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2019.
- The New York project TEACH (CAP-PC and CAPES Programs): origins and successes.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2014; 36: 551-552
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
The authors have no conflicts of interest relevant to this article to disclose.