Abbreviations:ADI (Area Deprivation Index), CBG (Census Block Group), HCI (Hospital Capability Index), pHCI (Pediatric Hospital Capability Index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Pediatrics
- Poverty and Child Health in the United States.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20160339https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-0339
Parker K, Horowitz JM, Brown A, Fry R, Igielnik DCAR. Demographic and Economic Trends in Urban, Suburban and Rural Communities. Pew Research Center; 2005. https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2018/05/22/demographic-and-economic-trends-in-urban-suburban-and-rural-communities/
- Availability of Definitive Hospital Care for Children.Jama Pediatr. 2017; 171 (e171096-e171096)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.1096
- Trends in Regionalization of Hospital Care for Common Pediatric Conditions.Pediatrics. 2017; 141e20171940https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-1940
- Access to High Pediatric-Readiness Emergency Care in the United States.J Pediatr. 2018; 194 (2250232.e1)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2017.10.074
- Pediatric Hospital Services Within a One-Hour Drive: A National Study.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e20201724https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-1724
- Trends in Regionalization of Emergency Care for Common Pediatric Conditions.Pediatrics. 2019; 145e20192989https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-2989
- Outcomes of Hospital Transfers for Pediatric Abdominal Pain and Appendicitis.Jama Netw Open. 2018; 1e183249https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.3249
- Assessment of Acute Hospital Use and Transfers for Management of Pediatric Seizures.Jama Netw Open. 2020; 3e203148https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.3148
- Availability of Inpatient Pediatric Surgery in the United States.Anesthesiology. 2021; 134: 852-861https://doi.org/10.1097/aln.0000000000003766
- Opportunities for Restructuring Hospital Transfer Networks for Pediatric Asthma.Academic Pediatrics (Online First). 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2021.04.013
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): Explanation and Elaboration.PLoS Med. 2016; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040297
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP).Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2009
Massachusetts Acute Hospital Inpatient Discharge, Emergency Department, and Outpatient Observation Case Mix Databases, Massachusetts Center for Health Information and Analysis, Boston MA. https://www.chiamass.gov/case-mix-data/
American Hospital Association. AHA Annual Survey Database. https://www.ahadata.com/aha-annual-survey-database. Accessed June 1, 2021.
- Transfer Frequency as a Measure of Hospital Capability and Regionalization.Health Serv Res. 2017; 52: 2237-2255https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12583
- Making Neighborhood Disadvantage Metrics Accessible: The Neighborhood Atlas.New England Journal of Medicine,. 2018; 378 (Available at:) (Accessed March 5, 2021): 2456-2458https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1802313
Bureau USC. 2010 Census - Block Maps. https://www.census.gov/geographies/reference-maps/2010/geo/2010-census-block-maps.html. Accessed March 5, 2021.
- A Nationwide Comparison of Driving Distance Versus Straight-Line Distance to Hospitals.Prof Geogr. 2012; 64: 188-196https://doi.org/10.1080/00330124.2011.583586
- Spatial Implications Associated with Using Euclidean Distance Measurements and Geographic Centroid Imputation in Health Care Research.Health Serv Res. 2010; 45: 316-327https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2009.01044.x
- Virtues of the Haversine.Sky and Telescope. 1984; 68: 159
US Census Bureau. 2012—2016 ACS 5-Year Data Profile. https://www.census.gov/acs/www/data/data-tables-and-tools/data-profiles/2016/. Accessed March 5, 2021.
- Defining Suburbs: How Definitions Shape the Suburban Landscape.Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University, 2019https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/Harvard_JCHS_Airgood-Obrycki_Rieger_Defining_Suburbs.pdf(Accessed June 1, 2021)
- A Statewide Analysis of EMS’ Pediatric Transport Destination Decisions.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2020; 24: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1080/10903127.2019.1699211
- Emergency Department Pediatric Readiness and Mortality in Critically Ill Children.Pediatrics. 2019; 144e20190568https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-0568
- Hospital outcomes of children admitted to intensive care in British Columbia via interfacility transfer versus direct admission from 2015 to 2017: a descriptive analysis.Cmaj Open. 2021; 9: E602-E606https://doi.org/10.9778/cmajo.20200263
- Interhospital Transfer Delays Appropriate Treatment for Patients With Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock.Crit Care Med. 2015; 43: 2589-2596https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0000000000001301
- Factors Associated With Delayed Treatment of Acute Testicular Torsion—Do Demographics or Interhospital Transfer Matter?.J Urology. 2010; 184: 1743-1747https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2010.03.073
- Type 1 diabetes outcomes: Does distance to clinic matter?.Pediatr Diabetes. 2012; 19: 1331-1336https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12749
- The Effect of Neighborhood and Individual Characteristics on Pediatric Critical Illness.J Commun Health. 2014; 39: 753-759https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-014-9823-0
- Disparities in Pediatric Mortality by Neighborhood Income in United States Emergency Departments.J Pediatrics. 2020; 219 (e3): 209-215https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2019.09.016
- Suburban poverty and the health care safety net.Res Brief. 2009; : 1-12
- Availability of Pediatric Inpatient Services in the United States.Pediatrics. 2021; 148e2020041723https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-041723
- Assessment of Underpayment for Inpatient Care at Children's Hospitals.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 175: 972-974https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.1133
- An Approach to Consolidating Pediatric Hospital Beds During the COVID-19 Surge.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e20201464https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-1464